call for submissions: The Village Pariah

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2010
      The Village Pariah, a bi-annual literary journal sponsored by the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Museum, is accepting submissions for its inaugural issue. We are interested in publishing poetry, short fiction, and creative non-fiction inspired by the writings and life of Mark Twain, his hometown of Hannibal, Missouri, the Mississippi River, the Midwest, and small town or rural life in America.
      Each issue will also include an introductory essay by an established author, poet, artist, songwriter, etc who speaks of Twain’s influence on his or her art or life.
      Electronic submissions only.
      Entries should be emailed as an attachment to
      <thevillagepariah( at)yahoo. com> (replace (at) with @)
      Please include name, contact information, and a short bio along with your submission. Our reading period is now open and entries will be accepted until March 15, 2010.
      Visit our website (http://www.marktwainmuseum.org/) for more information.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2010
        The Village Pariah: Call for Submissions for Volume II: Winter 2010
        The Village Pariah, a bi-annual literary journal sponsored by the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Museum, is accepting submissions for its second issue. We publish poetry, short fiction, creative non-fiction, and other works inspired by the writings and life of Mark Twain, his hometown of Hannibal, Missouri, the Mississippi River, the Midwest, and small town or rural life in America.
        Our theme for this issue is: the juvenile pariah of YOUR village. In The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Twain creates one of the most classic descriptions in all of literature, and America is introduced to its first anti-hero, Huckleberry Finn, “the juvenile pariah of the village” who was “cordially hated and dreaded by all the mothers of the town because he was idle and lawless and vulgar and bad,” but adored by the children of St. Petersburg who wished they could be like him. This topic can be interpreted broadly; it could be the bad boy your parents forbid you to date, the town bully, or someone with a deeper heroic vein, such as the rough-around-the-edges Huckleberry.
        Each issue will also include an introductory essay by an established author, poet, artist, songwriter, etc who speaks of Twain’s influence on his or her art or life. We welcome writings from established writers, as well as those who are new and unpublished.
        Electronic submissions only. Please limit poetry to five poems and prose to 3000 words. Entries should be emailed as an attachment to
        <thevillagepariah(at)yahoo.com> or <thevillagepariah(at)marktwainmuseum.org> (replace (at) with @)
        Please include name, contact information, and a short bio along with your submission. Our reading period is now open and entries will be accepted until November 1, 2010.

        Visit our website (http://www.marktwainmuseum.org/index.php/community-projects/the-village-pariah) for more information. All proceeds from the journal go to support the Mark Twain Boyhood Home and Museum.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2010
          The Village Pariah: Call for Submissions for Volume II: Winter 2010
          http://is.gd/fYtMT

          Electronic submissions only. Please limit poetry to five poems and prose to 3000 words. Entries should be emailed as an attachment to <thevillagepariah(at)yahoo.com>(replace (at) with @)

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
            Call for Submissions
            for Spring/Summer 2011 Issue (Vol. 2, No. 1)

            The Village Pariah, a bi-annual literary journal sponsored by the Mark
            Twain Boyhood Home and Museum, is accepting submissions for its third
            issue. We publish poetry, short fiction, creative non-fiction, and
            other works inspired by the writings and life of Mark Twain, his
            hometown of Hannibal, Missouri, the Mississippi River, the Midwest, and
            small town or rural life in America.

            Our theme for this issue is: TRAVEL. In Tom Sawyer Abroad Huck said, "I
            have found out there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like
            people or hate them than to travel with them." Sound familiar? Send us
            your travel memoirs and miseries in prose, fiction, poetry, or journal
            format. You might also find some inspiration in Twain's words from The
            Innocents Abroad: "Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice, and
            narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these
            accounts. Broad wholesome charitable views of men and things cannot be
            acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's
            lifetime."

            Each issue will also include an introductory essay by an established
            author, poet, artist, songwriter, etc who speaks of Twain’s influence
            on his or her art or life. We welcome writings from established
            writers, as well as those who are new and unpublished.

            Electronic submissions only. Please email submissions to
            <thevillagepariah(at)yahoo.com> or
            <thevillagepariah(at)marktwainmuseum.org>.
            (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)

            Please limit poetry to five poems and prose to 3000 words. Entries
            should be sent as a Word document in an email attachment. Please
            include name, contact information, and a short bio along with your
            submission. Our reading period is now open and entries will be
            accepted until August 1, 2011.

            All proceeds from the journal go to support the Mark Twain Boyhood Home
            & Museum. Check out our website or visit our Faceboo page for more
            information and updates.

            http://www.marktwainmuseum.org/index.php/community-projects/the-village-pariah
            http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/home.php?sk=group_210968188847¬if_t=group_r2j