writing positions: Goddard College

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2010
      Goddard College Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Creative Writing Program

      Part Time, Temporary, Faculty Positions Available

      We seek faculty who are published writers committed to excellence in their craft and the development of individual voice. Our students work closely with their faculty advisors during each residency to plan the work of the semester. Our faculty continue this supportive and sustaining mentorship throughout the semester, and the students benefit from the experience, insights, and critical feedback of their advisors. BFA faculty members are cross-listed in the Individualized BA program at Goddard; applicants must, therefore, be prepared to respond to student work in at least two areas of liberal arts study in addition to creative writing. Interested applicants are urged to explore the Goddard BFA-CW and IBA programs on the Goddard web site before applying.

      Qualifications/Requirements:
      Successful candidates must travel to the Goddard College Plainfield, Vermont campus for the April 7-8, 2010 pre-residency faculty meetings and the April 9-16, 2010 residency. An earned MFA degree in creative writing and/or commensurate record of publications, strong college-level teaching experience, workshop facilitation experience, experience with a literary journal, and a commitment to progressive education are required for these faculty positions. Participation in an on-site residency and subsequent supervision and written exchange with independent study students of diverse learning styles is required. A cross-disciplinary approach with experience and commitment to student-centered, progressive pedagogy is additionally required. This is not a typical teaching position in that faculty do not teach traditional forms of classes, instead each student's program of study is self-designed and the faculty advisor role is one of mentoring/advising. Advising occurs during the residency and over the course of 5 packet exchanges over the approximately 15 week semester.

      Compensation:
      Part-time workload and compensation vary depending on student enrollment. The salary will be approximately $924 per student advisee, plus $2186 per residency, plus $218 service stipend per semester, plus travel reimbursement, plus room and board on campus during the residency. Again, student advising load will be determined based on enrollment.

      Application Instructions:
      Review of applications will begin in late February. Note: all application materials must be merged into a single PDF document. Please send a cover letter summarizing qualifications, CV, statement of educational philosophy, and three references (name, contact information, and relationship to you) electronically to the following email address: bfa.search(at)goddard.edu (replace (at) with @). Please do not mail applications or send any additional materials at this time. If your application is successfully received, you will receive an email receipt. Please, No Phone Calls to the Human Resources office. The Program Director, Metta Sama, can be reached for questions at metta.sama(at)goddard.edu and you can visit our website at: www.goddard.edu

      Goddard College is committed to creating a college representative of a diverse global community and capable of creating change. We are actively seeking applications from qualified candidates from groups currently underrepresented in our institution for these positions.
      Application Information

      Contact:
      Goddard College

      Online App. Form: