call for submissions: Limestone

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      L I M E S T O N E
      A Journal of Literature and Art

      Department of English ◈ 1215 Patterson Office Tower ◈ University of Kentucky ◈ Lexington, KY 40506
      www.uky.edu/AS/English/Limestone/index.htm

      Call for Submissions: We are requesting original and unpublished poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction and visual art.

      Limestone: A Journal of Literature and Art
      Limestone publishes original and imaginative writing from established and emerging writers and artists from across the nation. Over the last quarter century, we have printed short stories, essays, formal poetry, free verse, photography, and other fine art. We are looking for quality work unrestricted by form. Limestone has showcased work by Eavan Boland, Guy Davenport, Alice Derry, Carol Frith, Seamus Heaney, and Virgil Suarez, in addition to featuring Kentucky writers Wendell Berry, Rebecca Howell, Ed McClanahan, Davis McCombs, Richard Taylor, Frank X. Walker II, and Jeff Worley.

      Submission Information:
      Poetry
      Submissions should be limited to five poems or fewer, typed and single-spaced. We will not consider electronic submissions, but will require an electronic version of the work upon acceptance for publication. Simultaneous submissions are accepted with notification.
      Fiction
      Submissions should be limited to no more than twenty typed, double-spaced pages. We will not consider electronic submissions, but will require an electronic version of the work upon acceptance for publication. Simultaneous submissions are accepted with notification.
      Art
      Submissions should be 5x7 or smaller on CD or sent via email. Please do not send originals. Simultaneous submissions are accepted with notification.

      Submissions must reach us by March 12th, 2010.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25, 2010
        Limestone, a literary journal housed at the University of Kentucky,
        publishes
        original art, poetry and prose from established and emerging writers.
        Our tastes
        vary from year to year, and what we publish is subject to the whims of
        the
        editorial board. However, we are human beings, and as such enjoy honest
        characters, sparky language, and stories that explore the complexities
        of being
        alive. We like art that speaks to us similarly, and art that features
        the
        imaginative use of color and form. We do print in color, but welcome
        black and
        white images as well. Typically we choose an artist from our accepted
        submissions for our cover.

        Over the past 25 years, we've published free verse, formal poetry,
        prose poetry,
        short stories, flash fiction, creative nonfiction, photography, visual
        art,
        comic strips, and photos of three-dimensional art. We are, however,
        open to new
        and/or experimental forms. As Limestone is not specifically a regional
        journal,
        accepted submissions will not be limited by theme or contributor's
        residence.

        Previous contributors to Limestone include Chris Agee, Wendell Berry,
        Eavan
        Boland, T. Crunk, Guy Davenport, Alice Derry, Nikky Finney, Carol
        Frith, Seamus
        Heaney, Rebecca Howell, Ed McClanahan, Davis McCombs, Virgil Suarez,
        Richard
        Taylor, Frank X. Walker II, and Jeff Worley.

        Simultaneous submissions are accepted with notification. All
        submissions should
        include a self-addressed stamped envelope and a brief cover letter.

        A submission selected for inclusion in our print journal may also be
        showcased
        on our website, limestonejournal.com.

        We accept manuscripts year round, but in order to be considered for the
        2011
        issue, submissions must reach us by March 1, 2011. Submissions received
        after
        that date will be considered for the following year. We typically do
        not read
        from late May to mid August.

        Submission Information

        Poetry
        Submissions should be limited to five poems or fewer, typed and
        single-spaced.
        We will not consider electronic submissions, but will require an
        electronic
        version of the work upon acceptance for publication.

        Prose
        Submissions should be limited to no more than thirty typed,
        double-spaced pages.
        We will not consider electronic submissions, but will require an
        electronic
        version of the work upon acceptance for publication.

        Art
        We will consider images sent via email (limestone.uky(at)gmail.com
        (replace (at) with @)) or on a CD. You
        may also send us a link to your online portfolios, as long as pieces
        available
        for submission are clearly noted. All accepted submissions will be
        resized to
        fit the margins of the magazine (5" x 7"). Images should have a
        resolution of
        300 dpi or higher. Please do not send originals.

        Send Submissions to:
        Limestone
        University of Kentucky
        Department of English