creative writing job: SFA State Univ
Stephen F. Austin State University
Faculty - Liberal Arts - English and Literature
Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 0600269
Position Type: Faculty
Department: ENGLISH & PHILOSOPHY
This is a full-time, nine-month, tenure-track faculty position responsible for contributing significantly to Stephen F. Austin State University's undergraduate and/or graduate programs through teaching, scholarship/creative accomplishment, and service. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This is a security-sensitive position. Reports to the Chair.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Performs an equivalent of eight teaching units of work (three credit hour course equals one teaching unit) during the regular academic year.
2. Engages in research/scholarly/creative and service activities at levels that are appropriate to faculty rank and departmental tenure/merit criteria.
3. Provides services to the university and the profession.
4. Participates in promotion review of lower-ranked faculty within the department.
5. When tenured, participates in tenure review of candidates for tenure.
6. May conduct supplemental instructional activities such as, independent studies, internships, advising, and thesis/dissertation supervision.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
1. May receive course load reassignment when assigned administrative duties in support of the department/college/university.
2. May receive course load reassignment when assigned to prepare course material during the first semester/year when included as part of initial contract.
3. May receive course load reassignment when approved to conduct research/scholarly/creative accomplishment and service which exceed normal expectations.
4. May supervise the work of student and/or graduate assistants.
5. May serve on departmental, college and university committees.
6. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Extensive knowledge in the field in which the individual will be teaching.
2. Ability to effectively teach undergraduate and/or graduate students.
3. Ability and commitment to conduct research and/or scholarly/creative accomplishments and service.
4. Ability to work within a collaborative faculty environment.
5. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
6. Ability to work effectively and patiently with students.
Terminal degree in the field in which the individual will be teaching is required. ABD candidates may be considered if Ph.D. is earned prior to start date.
Experience and Training:
The rank of Assistant Professor is held by an individual who demonstrates the capability to produce research/creative accomplishments, teach effectively, and provide service to the academic and general communities.
Work Hours: 12 hours instruction; 10 hours office weekly
Special Instructions: Applicants should send transcripts, 25-page writing sample, and three current letters of recommendation directly to: Dr. Mark Sanders, Chair, Dept. of English, Stephen F. Austin State U, PO Box 13007, SFA Station, Nacogdoches, TX 75962-3007.
Minimum Pay Rate: $45,000-$46,000
Specific Job Requirements for this Posting: The Department of English and the BFA program at Stephen F. Austin State University seeks applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Creative Writing, with a specialization in fiction and a strong secondary strength in creative nonfiction or poetry. The successful candidate will have an MFA or Ph.D. in Creative Writing by time of appointment, a record of substantial publication, and demonstrated teaching excellence.
We are looking for candidates with the ability to teach a variety of courses, from freshman composition to advanced or graduate courses in Creative Writing. The successful candidate will have the ability to supervise creative theses on the BFA and MA levels; the ability to teach introductory film courses and literature, with particular interest in American multicultural literatures, is highly preferred. Experience in teaching freshman composition is essential. The standard load is 4-4 with opportunities for research and service-related reductions.
SFASU is a comprehensive university with an enrollment of more than 12,000 students, located in the East Texas Piney Woods region. Candidates must apply via the SFASU online application system. Please submit letter of application and CV at:
Send copies of transcripts, 25-page writing sample, and three current letters of recommendation directly to Dr. Mark Sanders, Chair, Department of English, Stephen F. Austin State University, PO Box 13007, SFA Station, Nacogdoches, TX 75962-3007. Review of applications begins January 20, 2010; position open until filled.
Contact Name(s): Mark Sanders, Chair
John McDermott, Search Chair
Contact Phone/Extension: (936) 468-2319
Contact Email: <sandersme1(at)sfasu.edu> (replace (at) with @)
Contact Fax: (936) 468-2614
Stephen F. Austin State University
Online App. Form:
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]