call for submissions: Terrain.org

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
      Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built & Natural Environments, a twice-yearly international journal at www.terrain.org, seeks submissions of poetry, essays, fiction, and articles for Issue No. 25, with the theme of "Virtually There."

      As society and communications become more and more digitized, our ecosystems and landscapes change, too. Or at least our perceptions of them do. What does virtual reality mean for the real places around us, those natural and human-made, and those within? How do science and technology help and hinder efforts to enhance our environments? What, in fact, does environment mean now that technology enables us to experience our world in so many different ways? This issue of Terrain.org traces the boundaries of our circuit-driven world in the pursuit of real places, lasting culture, and essential art—or maybe we can only be virtually there.
      Submissions due by February 1, 2010. Online March 15, 2010. Notification usually within 4 weeks.

      Go to
      http://terrain.org/submit/

      for submission information

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2011
        Call for Submissions: Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built & Natural Environments (www.terrain.org):
        Issue No. 29 : Theme: Migration

        Migration is all the rage these days — immigration, emigration, annual and seasonal migration — but that's been human and animal nature since the beginning. So why are people up in arms? On a more basic scale, what does migration tell us about species adaptability, ours and others? How does migration impact place and how does place impact migration? This issue of Terrain.org presents columns, poetry, essays, fiction, articles, reviews, an interview, the ARTerrain gallery, the UnSprawl case study, "To Know a Place," and more to travel the paths, roadways, flyways, streams, jetstreams, channels, currents, and tunnels of those going there and back to fulfill the deep and holy need that is migration.
        We are also considering submissions for our forthcoming "Ruin and Renewal" and "Craft" issues.
        Submissions due by February 1, 2012. Issue launches on April 1, 2012. View full submission guidelines and submit online at http://www.terrain.org

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2012
          Call for Submissions: Terrain.org

          Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built & Natural Environments (http://www.terrain.org), an international, place-based journal of literary and technical contributions published twice per year, is seeking submissions of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and articles -- as well as visual and hybrid forms such as narrative slideshows, video essays, and flash fiction/photo vignettes -- for our upcoming "Migration" issue. Issue No. 29 will publish on April 1st and submissions are due by February 1st. We will also consider submissions for other upcoming issues: "Ruin and Renewal" and "Craft." Simultaneous and previously published work is considered. View submission guidelines at http://www.terrain.org/submit and submit online at http://sub.terrain.org

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2012
            Call for "Ruin and Renewal" Submissions: Terrain.org: A Journal of the
            Built & Natural Environments

            Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built & Natural Environments, at
            http://www.terrain.org, is now accepting submissions for our
            forthcoming "Ruin and Renewal" issue, our 30th. The submission
            deadline is August 1st for publication October 1st, and we are seeking
            submissions in:

            - Poetry
            - Fiction
            - Essays
            - Articles
            - Hybrid Forms, including those incorporating art and multimedia

            Each theme-based issue of Terrain.org is a rich mix of literary and
            technical contributions. As the oldest and most comprehensive
            place-based journal on the web, we strive to include work from new and
            established writers alike, work that explores the nexus between the
            built and natural environments where it exists, and creates a
            discourse where it does not.

            Submission guidelines are online at
            http://www.terrain.org/submit
            and
            all submissions must be made through our submission manager at
            http://sub.terrain.org. We do our best to respond to 8 to 10 weeks.

            More about the upcoming issue's theme, "Ruin and Renewal":

            We live in an age of increasing environmental change ? whether global
            climate change or loss of biodiversity or the absorption of toxins at
            every stage of the life cycle. Some would claim, in fact, that we live
            in the age of ruin. But in catastrophe there is often renewal. How do
            we rebuild after natural disasters, or should we? What factors are at
            play in recovery, of culture and place? How can we foster a
            sustainable future given the changes anticipated and unforeseen that
            face us? Through columns, poetry, essays, fiction, articles, reviews,
            an interview, the ARTerrain gallery, the UnSprawl case study, "To Know
            a Place," and more, this contest issue of Terrain.org sifts through
            the predictions and data, the numbers and nomenclature, and the
            incalculable forces around us to call out, if not call forth, our ruin
            and renewal.

            We will also consider submissions for two subsequent issues: "Craft"
            and "Biophilia".
            Details at http://www.terrain.org/submit/themes.htm

            We take a liberal perspective on themes, and encourage your best work.
            We also consider both simultaneously submitted and previously
            published work (so long as the previously published work is not
            currently available online). Read the full submission guidelines at

            http://www.terrain.org/submit