call for submissions: Still: Literature of the Mountain South

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2009
      Still: Literature of the Mountain South is an on-line literary journal featuring literature of the Southern Appalachian region. Our reading period is December 1 through December 31 only. We are committed to publishing excellent writing that does not rely on clich├ęs and stereotypes. We want to feature writing that exemplifies the Mountain South or that is written by an author with an established connection to the region. We accept submissions of SHORT FICTION, POETRY, and CREATIVE NONFICTION.
      http://www.stilljournal.net/

      We encourage established, unpublished, or emerging writers to submit their best work to Still.

      We appreciate writing grounded in craft as well as experience. We are moved by lyrical writing that is compelling, distinctive, accessible, and finely written. As a purely editorial decision, we will not consider trite, light verse, genre fiction, critical analyses, inspirational or motivational advice, erotica or pornography, or any writing that purposefully exploits or demeans. We cannot accept unsolicited interviews or book reviews at this time.

      We will consider one short story or one creative nonfiction piece up to 6,500 words or up to five poems less than 60 lines each during the reading period. Please do not submit more than once during the reading period.

      We accept only electronic submissions. Send submissions with STILL SUBMISSION in the subject line. Submit only one double-spaced story, one double-spaced creative nonfiction piece, or up to five poems as a WORD document or Rich Text Format to the appropriate editor. Poetry submissions should be sent as one attachment. Attachments that are not in .doc, .docx or rtf formats will be deleted unread. At the end of your submission include a five-sentence biography and your contact information. Cover letters are unnecessary and discouraged since we will be choosing your work based on the merits of your writing and not on past achievements, publications, or awards.

      We will consider simultaneous submissions as long as you let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere. We will not consider previously published materials, including any online publications.

      Still acquires first rights for publication. Upon publication, rights revert to the author. Still reserves the right to reprint work at a later date if we have the opportunity to occasionally make a print anthology and want to include your work.

      Still is published three times a year: October, February, and June. The submission period is December 1 through December 30 of each year. We will only read submissions received during this reading period. Any submission received other than during this time will be deleted unread.

      Send submissions to appropriate editor (replace (at) with @ in sending submissions):

      Fiction submissions: <fiction(at)stilljournal.net>
      Nonfiction submissions: <nonfiction(at)stilljournal.net>
      Poetry submissions: <poetry(at)stilljournal.net>

      www.stilljournal.net