short fiction contest for women: Kore Press

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2009
      2010 KORE PRESS SHORT FICTION AWARD
      http://www.korepress.org/KorePressShortFictionAward.htm

      Entry portal for contest is at
      http://www.korepress.org/submissions/

      A prize of $1,000 plus chapbook publication by Kore Press
      will be given for a short story written in English.
      Leslie Marmon Silko will be judging.
      Extended deadline: Dec 21, 2009

      2009 winner selected by Tayari Jones: Teresa Stores for "Frost Heaves "

      Eligibility
      This competition is open to any woman writing in English, regardless of nationality.

      How to Submit

      Submit your manuscript and the $15 entry fee between Oct 1 and Dec 21, 2009, here.

      Comment box should include:

      daytime and evening telephone numbers
      where you heard about the contest
      All entrants will be notified of results via email.

      Manuscripts must be:
      • a minimum of 4,000 words and a maximum of 12,000 words
      • doublespaced
      • paginated
      • anonymous (do not include your name anywhere on the manuscript).
      • original fiction written by the applicant (translations are not eligible)
      • unpublished at the time of submission (if the story is accepted elsewhere during our deliberation process, please notify us immediately)

      Ethics Statement
      We endorse and agree to comply with the following statement released by the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses:

      CLMP's community of independent literary publishers believes that ethical contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest. To that end, we agree to:

      1) conduct our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors;
      2) provide clear and specific contest guidelines -- defining conflict of interest for all parties involved; and
      3) make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public.
      This Code recognizes that different contest models produce different results, but that each model can be run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.

      The Process
      Manuscripts are delivered to about 6 preliminary readers of diverse backgrounds and literary perspectives. Manuscripts selected by these preliminary readers are reviewed by a second reader. A group of approximately 20 semifinalists are then forwarded to our judge, who chooses 2 or 3 finalists and a winner.

      For more information email
      <kore(at)korepress.org> (replace (at) with @)

      or call 520.882.7542

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2010
        Kore Press Short Fiction Award

        the contest

        A prize of $1,000
        plus chapbook publication
        by Kore Press will be given for a short story written in English.

        Deadline: November 30, 2010
        This competition is open to any woman writing in English, regardless of
        nationality.

        How to Submit
        Submit your manuscript and $15 reading fee on-line at
        http://www.korepress.org/submissions/

        Comment box should include:
        daytime and evening telephone numbers
        where you heard about the contest

        Manuscripts must be:
        anonymous (do not include your name anywhere on the manuscript)
        original fiction written by applicant (translations are not eligible)
        a minimum of 4,000 and a maximum of
        12,000 words
        double-spaced and paginated
        unpublished at the time of submission (upon acceptance elsewhere during
        our deliberation process, please notify us immediately)

        For more information email <kore(at)korepress.org> (replace (at) with
        @),
        or call 520-327-2127.