submissions for Silver Boomer books requested

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2009
      Silver Boomer Books: Anthology Calls
      http://silverboomerbooks.com/submissions.html

      A Pinch and a Dash - recipes from home and long ago
      Silver Boomer Books seeks submissions for an anthology tentatively identified as A Pinch and a Dash - recipes from home and long ago. Submissions of prose and poetry should be submitted pursuant to these guidelines by January 15, 2010. The focus of the anthology is family or friendship memories associated with a particular meal or food. We're asking for the recipe as well as the poem or prose about it.

      You will be asserting you have the right to publish the recipe in your name. If it is copied from a cookbook, it doesn't work. If you use the same ingredients and describe the process differently, you have written an original work. The combination of ingredients cannot be copyrighted; the text somebody else wrote is. Send poetry or prose and recipe, and consider our earlier anthologies, Silver Boomers, Freckles to Wrinkles, and This Path for examples of style. Follow the guidelines set out later on this page.

      Flashlight Memories
      Silver Boomer Books seeks submissions for an anthology tentatively identified as Flashlight Memories. Submissions of prose and poetry should be submitted pursuant to these guidelines by March 15, 2010. The focus of the anthology is childhood reading. What events in your childhood led you to become a reader for life? Did you crawl between the sheets with a book and a flashlight? Did a friend or family member influence you? What books drew you into the world of literature? Send poetry or prose, and consider our earlier anthologies, Silver Boomers, Freckles to Wrinkles, and This Path for examples of style. Follow the guidelines set out later on this page.

      How We Want It:
      Electronic submission is preferred, with the manuscript or poem pasted into the body of the email. We are giving first preference to poetry of less than 50 lines, and prose not exceeding 1500 words. Poetry shorter than 12 lines tickles the editor in charge of formatting and stands a good chance of being used if the quality's there. We ask for one-time rights. If the submission has been previously published, cite each prior publication. If prior publication history is not included (including "This piece has not been published") the piece will not be considered. We require that a 50-100 word biographical sketch, written in third person, be included with the submission. See the SilverBoomers.com authors page for sample bios. Entries not meeting this requirement will not be considered.

      Silver Boomer Books reserves the right to edit text for grammar, spelling, punctuation and minor syntax errors -- that's what editors do. We consult with the author before making major changes.

      Please don't submit material you sent previously for a Silver Boomer Book as we have that and will be contacting authors if we feel the work would fit in future anthologies.
      Electronic submissions:

      Email us at <SilverBoomerBooks(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @).

      Identify the anthology, either as "A Pinch" or "Flashlight" in the subject line.
      Still on the subject line type "Submission -- Prose: Name of Entry" Substitute your title for "name of entry" and for poetry substitute "poetry" for "prose."
      Do not put more than one poem or piece in one email.
      In the body of the email type this information:

      Your name
      Your pen name if you desire to use a different name
      Your mailing address
      Your email address
      Your telephone number
      Previous publication history of your submission
      Word count for prose, line count for poetry. In counting lines for poetry, start with the first line and count each line to the last including blank lines.
      A 50 to 100 word biographical sketch of yourself written in 3rd person. See the Silver Boomers authors' page for style.
      Cut and paste your entry into the body of the email.

      Multiple submissions are welcome but must be in separate emails with all information listed above in the email with each entry.
      In submitting your entry, you represent:

      The work you are submitting is your work.
      You have the rights to the work and have not previously conveyed exclusive rights to any other publisher.
      You agree to the terms and conditions set out on this page.

      Postal Mail Submissions:
      Postal Mail Submissions require prior permission from Silver Boomer Books, 3301 S 14th Suite 16 - PMB 134, Abilene Texas 79605.
      What You Get:
      Payment is $5 for poetry and $10 for prose plus a contributor's copy. If you label it prose but we think it's poetry, we'll pay the poetry rate. In addition, contributors will be allowed to purchase copies of the work at an author's price for two years following the initial release. All payments are upon publication. Your name and story/poem title will be listed on the website for two years. You will be allowed to post to the authors' blog on the Silver Boomers website so you can publicize signings and speaking engagements as well as comment on the experience.