multigenre contest: Summer Literary Seminars

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2009
      SLS is pleased to announce its 2010 unified (SLS-Montreal, SLS-Lithuania, and SLS-Kenya) literary contest, held this year again in affiliation with Fence.

      We are excited this year to have Mary Gaitskill judging the contest fiction, and Mary Jo Bang judging the poetry.

      Contest winners in the categories of fiction and poetry will have their work published in Fence, as well as the participatingliterary journals in Canada, Lithuania and Kenya. Additionally, they will have the choice of attending (airfare, tuition, and housing included) any of the SLS-2010 programs – in Montreal, Quebec (June 13 - 27); Vilnius, Lithuania (August 1 - 14); or Nairobi-Lamu, Kenya (December).

      Second-place winners will receive a full tuition waiver for the program of their choice, and third-place winners will receive a 50% tuition discount.

      A number of select contest participants, based on the overall strength of their work, will be offered tuition scholarships, as well, applicable to the SLS-2010 programs.

      Contest Deadline: February 28, 2010.

      Please visit the SLS website, at http://www.sumlitsem.org/slscontest.html, for detailed information on how to enter.
      =

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2015
        GUIDELINES
        http://www.sumlitsem.org/contest.html

        Summer Literary Seminars is very excited to announce our 2015 Literary Contest, with prizes sponsored by GuernicaFence MagazineNinth Letter, and the esteemed Graywolf Press. We are also thrilled to share that through a new collaboration with DISQUIET, the winners of this year's contest will be offered tuition, airfare, and accommodations to the2015 DISQUIET International Program in Lisbon, Portugal. Judging the contest are award-winning writers Aimee Bender (fiction), Philip Graham (non fiction) and Brenda Shaughnessy (poetry).
        The complete guidelines for the 2015 contest are as follows:
        RDeadline: FEBRUARY 10, 2015 EXTENDED TO FEBRUARY 17, 2015
        RAll entries will automatically be considered for the Graywolf, Arkadii Dragomoshchenko, and Sutzkever prizes, depending on content.
        REligibility: Only previously unpublished work in English can be submitted. We accept entries from all ages and countries.
        RAll entries should be in a standard type face and 12pt font and, if emailed, attached in .pdf, .doc or .rtf format.
        RFor fiction: ONE short story or novel excerpt, maximum 20 (double-spaced) pages per entry.** NOTE: To qualify for the Graywolf Prize, you must have published no more than two novels (or none at all). Note in your subject line that you are submitting a novel excerpt.
        RFor non fiction: ONE piece of non fiction, maximum 20 (double-spaced) pages per entry.
        RFor poetry: No more than THREE poems per entry, up to 10 pages total.
        REntrants may submit to any or all categories more than once; however, each entry must be accompanied by its own entry fee.
        RIn your subject line, please include your name and type of submission (short story, novel excerpt, poetry, non fiction, Sutzkever prize etc) eg. Jane Smith - Poetry
        RInclude your complete contact information (name, address, telephone, email address) on a cover page of the manuscript.
        RWinners will be notified by late March 2015.
        RPrevious First-Place winners may not re-enter in the same genre.
        Entries can be submitted electronically, to: sls.contestATgmailDOTcom (NOTE: Please do not send payments to this address -- we request that if you pay online you use the Paypal button below.)
        A $17 US reading fee must accompany each entry. Multiple entries are permissible, as long as they are accompanied by separate reading fees.
        Fees can paid paid online, via Paypal, or to the address below, by cheque.