open reading period: Tarpaulin Sky Press

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2009
      During the month of October, Tarpaulin Sky Press (www.tarpaulinsky.com) will be reading full-length manuscripts of poetry, fiction, and cross-genre work. Manuscripts should be postmarked between October 1 and October 31, 2009. There is no need to query first; simply mail the manuscript according to the directions below.

      Tarpaulin Sky Press publishes paperbacks as well as a literary journal that appears in online and paper editions. Our trade paperbacks are available though major retailers and independent booksellers alike, and are distributed by Small Press Distribution--where the majority of our full-length titles have appeared on the distributor's "Best Sellers" lists, sometimes for several months. In addition to being included in "Ten Great Titles from Underground Presses" in Time Out New York, Tarpaulin Sky Press and its titles are featured and reviewed in places such as Poets & Writers, American Book Review, Rain Taxi, Bloomsbury Review, and Bookslut, among others.

      TO SUBMIT:

      Send one copy of your manuscript along with two copies of the title page (note: the reading process is not "blind"--we ask for two title pages only so that we may keep one with the manuscript, and the other for reference/notes, etc). Be sure that your title pages include your name, address, telephone number, and email address.

      Cover letters are read with interest. We like to know who your are, what you're up to, and where we can read more of your work.

      We do accept simultaneous submissions but a
      sk that you let us know immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere. Individual pieces from the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, anthologies, and short-run chapbooks, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished. Manuscripts will not be returned. Please do not send us your only copy.

      Writers who have not been published in our literary journal should include a $20 reading fee in the form of a check or a money order made payable to Tarpaulin Sky Press. Past contributors to Tarpaulin Sky may submit their manuscript with a $10 reading fee. Current subscribers to Tarpaulin Sky Press do not need to include a reading fee (you've already done plenty to support the press--thank you). Everyone submitting a manuscript is welcome also to choose from any TSky Press trade paperback (sorry, no chapbooks)--just let us know which title you would like, and enclose with your submission packet a 9x12, self-addressed, stamped envelope with $2.64 in postage. We will ship the books separately from your notification SASE.

      Mail your submission to

      Tarpaulin Sky Press
      PO Box 189
      Grafton, VT 05146

      For notification of decisions, include a business-size SASE. If you would like to receive acknowledgment of the receipt of your manuscript, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard. Notification of decisions will be made in February 2010. Publication of accepted manuscripts will be in 2010 & 2011.

      If you are not familiar with our press and the type of books that we publish, we encourage you to20explore our work before submitting, by purchasing one of our titles.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2010
        Tarpaulin Sky Press Open Reading Period
        Deadline 31 October 2010

        During the month of October, Tarpaulin Sky Press ( http://www.tarpaulinsky.com ) is reading full-length manuscripts of poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and cross-genre work. There is no need to query first; simply mail the manuscript according to the directions below.

        In addition to publishing both perfect-bound and hand-bound chapbooks, Tarpaulin Sky Press publishes trade paperbacks and a literary journal that appears both online and on paper. Featured in venues as diverse as After Ellen, HTML Giant, and Poets & Writers, Tarpaulin Sky's titles are regularly reviewed in Publishers Weekly as well as American Book Review, Bloomsbury Review, Bookslut, Jacket, and Rain Taxi. Ranked among "Great Titles from Underground Presses," by Time Out New York, Tarpaulin Sky's books also routinely appear on the "Bestsellers" list at Small Press Distribution.

        GUIDELINES IN BRIEF

        Manuscripts should be emailed or postmarked between October 1 and October 31, 2010. There is no need to query first; simply send the manuscript according to the guidelines below.

        Send one copy of your manuscript along with two copies of the title page. (Note: the reading process is not "blind"--we ask for two title pages so that we may keep one with the manuscript, and the other for reference/notes, etc.) Be sure that your title pages include your name, address, telephone number, and email address. Cover letters are read with interest. We like to know who your are, what you're up to, and where we can read more of your work.

        Multiple submissions are OK. We also accept simultaneous submissions but ask that you let us know immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere. Individual pieces from the manuscript may have been previously published in chapbooks, magazines, and anthologies, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished. Manuscripts will not be returned; please do not send us your only copy.

        Though we never charge reading fees for work submitted to our magazine, we do charge a fee for the submission of book manuscripts. Writers who have not been published in our magazine should include a $20 payment to the press, which--if it needs to be said--is applied to the cost of producing our books. Your entry fee also entitles you to choose any TSky Press trade paperback that we've published (sorry, no chapbooks); just let us know which title you'd like, and enclose with your manuscript submission (or mail separately) a 6.5" x 9.5" or larger, self-addressed, stamped envelope with $2.64 in postage. We will ship the books separately from your notification SASE. [Past contributors to Tarpaulin Sky Literary Magazine can submit their manuscript for the "fee" of buying a book from our online catalog during the month of October.]

        SENDING MANUSCRIPTS VIA SNAIL MAIL

        Please mail your manuscript to Open Reading Period, Tarpaulin Sky Press, PO Box 189, Grafton, VT 05146. Please include payment in the form of a check or money order made payable to Tarpaulin Sky Press. For notification of decisions, include a business-size SASE. If you would like to receive acknowledgment of the receipt of your manuscript, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard. Notification of decisions will be made in February 2011. Publication of accepted manuscripts will be in 2012.

        SENDING MANUSCRIPTS VIA EMAIL

        Please see our guidelines page for mailing addresses and payment details: http://www.tarpaulinsky.com