call for submissions: Hawk & Handsaw

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hawk & Handsaw wants to know what "creative sustainability" means to you. Send
      us your reflections and art. Tell us about your greatest triumphs and most
      frustrating failures. Challenge our definitions-and those held by our readers.
      We know that you know which way the wind blows. That a sustainable lifestyle
      can be as messy as it is meaningful-that it requires reflection, deep
      philosophical commitment and, more often than not, a good sense of humor. Hawk
      and Handsaw celebrates this kind of thinking. Each issue, we offer works from
      established and emerging artists and writers, as well as a broadly reaching
      accounts of what it means to be sustainably creative-and, of course, creatively
      sustainable.

      Hawk & Handsaw is published annually. Our reading period for the 2010 issue is
      1 August- 1 November. We welcome text and images from every genre and are
      particularly interested in those works that challenge conventional notions both
      of artistic form and environmental sustainability. Please send submissions
      (Word, .jpeg, or .pdf files preferred) to <hawkandhandsaw(at)unity.edu

      (replace (at) with @). For more

      information about the journal, including full submission guidelines and samples
      of previous issues, you may visit our website: www.unity.edu/hawkandhandsaw.
      Queries may be sent to the journal's editor, Kathryn Miles <kmiles(at)unity.edu>

      (replace (at) with @).

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2010
        Call for Submissions

        Hawk & Handsaw: The Journal of Creative Sustainability

        "Creative Sustainability begins like this: We begin to imagine how our emotional and physical lives might defy every law of diminishing returns. Then we yearn: We grow ravenous with the desire not to consume, but to be consumed, by the human and biotic communities that support us. And finally grace: We stand in the sweetness of self-expenditure so that every other thing bursts with ecological possibility." – Amy Irving, author of Trespass: Living at the Edge of the Promised Land.

        Hawk & Handsaw: The Journal of Creative Sustainability is now accepting submissions for its 2011 issue. We are looking for contributions that defy convention and tackle the tougher issues that stem from life in a fragile world: work that challenges us to redefine what we know about sustainability and genre; work that provokes us, riles us, makes us laugh. Most of all, we are looking for contributions that are fresh, honest, and evocative. We accept poetry, creative nonfiction, short stories, and visual art. Poets should submit between 1-5 poems for consideration. Writers of nonfiction and fiction may submit up to 30 double-spaced pages. Excerpts from longer monographs are acceptable, provided they stand alone as an independent work. If applicable, citations should appear in Chicago Manual of Style format. Hawk &Handsaw prints artwork in both color and black and white. Visual artists may submit up to 20 images of their work for consideration.

        The reading period for this issue ends on 1 October 2010.
        For more information, please visit our website: www.hawkandhandsaw.org or contact us at <hawkandhandsaw(at)unity.edu> (replace (at) with @)
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24, 2011
          Hawk & Handsaw: The Journal of Creative Sustainability is now accepting
          submissions for its 2012 issue. We are looking for contributions that defy
          convention and tackle the tougher issues that stem from life in a fragile world:
          work that challenges us to redefine what we know about sustainability and genre;
          work that provokes us, riles us, makes us laugh. Most of all, we are looking for
          contributions that are fresh, honest, and evocative. We accept poetry, creative
          nonfiction, short stories, and visual art; we also always welcome submissions
          that defy, blur, or disregard genre altogether. Poets should submit between 1-5
          poems for consideration. Writers of nonfiction and fiction may submit up to 30
          double-spaced pages. Genre deconstructors should use their best judgment but
          remember that we are a skeletal staff. Excerpts from longer monographs are
          acceptable, provided they stand alone as an independent work. If applicable,
          citations should appear in Chicago Manual of Style format. Hawk &Handsaw prints
          artwork in both color and black and white. Visual artists may submit up to 20
          images of their work for consideration.
          The reading period for this issue ends on 1 October 2012. For more information,
          please visit our website: www.hawkandhandsaw.org

          or contact us <hawkandhandsaw(at)unity.edu> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)