anthology calls: best gay poetry/best lesbian poetry

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2007
      A Midsummer Night's Press announces two new annual anthologies:

      BEST GAY POETRY edited by Lawrence Schimel
      and
      BEST LESBIAN POETRY edited by Linda Alvarez

      For the 2008 editions of this exciting new series celebrating the best
      in gay/lesbian poetry, A Midsummer Night's Press invites submissions
      of poems published during 2007.

      Poems can have appeared in print or online magazines, journals, or
      anthologies; we are also willing to consider poems from books or
      chapbooks first published in 2007, even if the poem was originally
      published previously in periodicals, so long as the poet has the right
      to reprint the poem.

      We are open to all styles of poetry, from formal to free verse; we are
      likewise open-minded in terms of content, so long as it somehow fits
      (even if pushing the boundaries of) what might be considered "gay
      poetry" or "lesbian poetry".
      We are willing to consider slam poetry, so long as it has been
      published in text form, not merely performed; the poem must also work
      on the page, for these anthologies.
      We are open to English-language poetry from all over the world, and
      actively look to include non-North American voices.

      Please title documents with the poet's surname.

      Please include contact information (both street and email address),
      bio, and previous publication history WITHIN the .doc file, as
      documents will be read separately from the emails.

      Submissions from individual poets or queries should be sent by email
      in .doc format to one of the following addresses, as appropriate:

      BestGayPoetry(at)gmail.com
      (replace (at) with @)
      or
      BestLesbianPoetry(at)gmail.com
      (replace(at) with @)

      Deadline is December 1, 2007.
      (We will consider submissions of work that is scheduled to appear in
      the latter half of the year, but which has not yet been published.)

      In each volume, A Midsummer Night's Press also plans to include a
      round-up of all books/journals/anthologies of gay/lesbian poetry
      published the previous year. (We also welcome recommendations or
      suggestions of appropriate poems from editors of journals or
      anthologies.)

      Books and journals for review can be sent to the attention of the
      appropriate editor at:
      A Midsummer Night's Press
      16 West 36th Street
      2nd Floor
      New York NY 10018

      About the Editors

      Linda Alvarez is the editor of the anthologies BEST DATE EVER: TRUE
      STORIES THAT CELEBRATE LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS (Alyson) and DYKE THE
      HALLS: EROTIC LESBIAN CHRISTMAS TALES (Circlet) and lives in New York
      City.

      Lawrence Schimel is an award-winning author and anthologist who has
      published over 80 books, including FIRST PERSON QUEER (Arsenal Pulp),
      TWO BOYS IN LOVE (Seventh Window), THE FUTURE IS QUEER (Arsenal Pulp),
      PoMoSEXUALS (Cleis), and TWO HEARTS DESIRE (St. Martin's Press).  He
      also edited the first (and so far only) anthology of gay love poetry
      to appear in Catalan, ELLS S'ESTIMEN (Llibres de l'Index).  His poems
      have appeared in a diverse array of periodicals, from THE CHRISTIAN
      SCIENCE MONITOR to PHYSICS TODAY to THE LYRIC, and have been widely
      anthologized in GAY LOVE POETRY, THE PRACTICE OF PEACE, CHICKEN SOUP
      FOR THE HORSE-LOVER'S SOUL 2, and THE RANDOM HOUSE TREASURY OF LIGHT
      VERSE, among others.  He lives in Madrid, Spain with his husband,
      Ismael Attrache.

      About the Publisher:

      A Midsummer Night's Press (www.amidsummernightspress.com) is an
      independent publisher devoted primarily to poetry, publishing under
      three imprints: Fabula Rasa for work inspired by fairy tales or
      mythology, Funny Bones for light verse and humor, and Body Language
      for works exploring sexuality and queer subjects.  The press' first
      titles include THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED IN OUR OTHER LIFE by Achy Obejas,
      THE GOOD-NEIGHBOR POLICY: A DOUBLE-CROSS IN DOUBLE DACTYLS by Charles
      Ardai, and FAIRY TALES FOR WRITERS by Lawrence Schimel.  A Midsummer
      Night's Press is distributed by SPD (www.spdbooks.org).