Official Rules / Instructions for BWA 2009 6th Annual Writing Contest
(go to URL above to download entry form)
1. Entries open June 22, 2009
2. Entry deadline is August 22, 2009 (mailed entries must be postmarked on or before that date)
3. Categories are:
a. Short Fiction (1 work, max. 2500 words)
b. Creative Nonfiction / Memoir (1 work, max. 2500 words)
c. Essay (1 work, max. 2500 words)
d. Poetry (up to 3 works, no word requirement)
3. Entry fee is $15 per contestant and allows the following:
a. Entry to any or all contest categories
b. 1-year BWA membership (Oct 2009 - Sept 2010)
c. Admission to 2009 Workshop / Awards Program (Oct. 10 at Central Lakes College)
4. Entries must be original, non-published, non-awarded work.
5. Contestants must submit 2 copies of the official entry form for each work entered. All entries must arrive
in the same envelope.
6. Entries will be judges on a "blind" basis by the judge named for each category. Typical judges for
BWA's contest include college English and Literary faculty as well as working editors and writers. Judges
are not given a set of criteria by which to judge entries, but typically apply common literary standards for
that genre. Unique voice and creativity are important.
7. BWA does not arbitrarily select the appropriate category for entries. Entrants determine the category for
their own work. Individual judges may decide not to award what might otherwise be a deserving entry
deemed inappropriately categorized.
Note: The BWA Writing Contest encourages members and other interested writers to write more and write
well. We hope entrants take advantage of the small entry fee and liberal submission limits to explore new
literary avenues of expression.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]