novella contest: Miami University Press

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
      2007 Novella Contest
      About the Miami University Novella Contest
      http://www.orgs.muohio.edu/mupress/novella.html

      The novella form has had a long and distinguished place in American
      literature, and has triumphed in the hands of Herman Melville, Henry James, Katherine
      Anne Porter, Stanley Elkin, Cynthia Ozick, Jane Smiley, Toni Morrison, Philip
      Roth, Saul Bellow, William Gass, John Gardner, Andrea Barrett and Tobias Wolff,
      to name just a few.
      As commercial publishers are driven more and more by marketplace concerns,
      novellas, by nature of their length, often fall between the cracks of short
      story collections and novels and wind up being published—if at all—not as
      individual volumes but as part of a collection of stories. Because the form is such a
      pleasure for readers and writers alike—short enough to be read at a single
      sustained sitting, but long enough to allow the writer greater freedom in
      character and plot development than does the short story—we are happy to present a
      rare venue for publishing individual novellas as stand-alone volumes.
      Manuscripts submitted for the award will be read and evaluated by our
      creative writing faculty, all of whom are active publishing writers. The manuscripts
      will be read “blind;” in other words, all identifiers will be stripped from
      the pages before the manuscripts are read, and the author’s history of previous
      publication will not be available to readers. Each year a different member of
      our faculty will serve as the final judge and will decide from among the list
      of finalists submitted by the other readers. This year’s final judge is
      fiction writer Brian Ascalon Roley.
      Students, former students, faculty, former faculty, or anyone connected to
      Miami University will not be considered for the award. Though we believe
      strongly in the talent of those we have worked with and taught, we will do everything
      we can to assure that this prize is administered impartially, fairly, and
      without regard to association.
      Miami University Press is a non-profit organization. Though we are requiring
      an entrance fee, we wish to make it clear that this money will be used to pay
      for the administrative costs of the contest, to help with the costs of
      publishing a book of high quality, and to allow each entrant to receive a copy of the
      winning volume. We want that book to be a pleasure to hold in the hands and
      to read. The winning volume will be distributed nationwide.

      Submission Rules and Guidelines:
      Winning entry receives $1,000 and book publication.
      Postmark by November 1, 2007.
      Reading fee $25, payable to MU Press.
      All entrants receive copy of winning book.
      Submit manuscripts, 40,000 words or less, two title pages, one with author’s
      name, address and phone number, one without. Author’s name must not appear
      elsewhere.
      The minimum word count is 60 pages times 300 words or 18,000 words.
      Mail to:
      MU Press Novella Prize
      English Department
      356 Bachelor Hall
      Miami University,
      Oxford, OH 45056

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2008
        About the Miami University Press Novella Contest

[...]

        Below are general guidelines for the contest.

        Entries must be postmarked by October 1, 2008.

        Submit manuscripts, 18,000–40,000 words, with two title pages: one with author’s name, address and phone number, one without. Author’s name must not appear elsewhere. Word count must be included on title page.

        Winning entry receives $1,000 and book publication.

        Reading fee $25, payable to Miami University Press.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2009
[...]

          Miami University Press is a non-profit organization. Though we are requiring an entrance fee (currently $25), we wish to make it clear that this money will be used to pay for the administrative costs of the contest, to help with the costs of publishing a book of high quality, and to allow each entrant to receive a copy of the winning volume. We want that book to be a pleasure to hold in the hands and to read. The winning volume will be distributed nationwide.

          Submission rules and guidelines:

          Below are general guidelines for the contest.

          Entries for the 2009 contest must be postmarked by October 2, 2009.

          Submit manuscripts, 18,000–40,000 words, with two title pages: one with author’s name, address and phone number, one without. Author’s name must not appear elsewhere. Word count must be included on title page.

          Reading fee U.S. $25, payable to Miami University Press (check or money order; no cash or credit cards).

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2014
            Submissions link:
            https://mupress.submittable.com/submit/30142

            Miami University Press invites submissions to its 2015 Novella Prize. The prize is awarded to a novella-length manuscript of original fiction. The 2015 judge is Joseph Bates. Our $25 reading fee entitles each entrant to a copy of the winning novella. Visitmiamioh.edu/mupress/novella for more details about the prize.
            • Length Requirements: Manuscripts must be 18,000–40,000 words.

            • Format Requirements: Manuscripts should be double-spaced and use a standard 12 pt. font. Be sure your name does not appear anywhere on the manuscript.

            • Eligibility: Previously published works are not eligible. Simultaneous submissions are welcomed; please notify us immediately if your submission is accepted for publication elsewhere.

              Previous Novella Prize winners are ineligible. Previous finalists, however, may enter again.

              Students, former students, faculty, former faculty, or anyone connected to Miami University are not eligible to enter. By submitting your work and the form below you certify that you are not in any way affiliated with Miami University.
            Thank you for your interest. We look forward to reading your entry.