poetry contest: North American Review

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Entry Guidelines for the
      2008 James Hearst Poetry Prize
      http://www.webdelsol.com/NorthAmReview/NAR/NAR/Hearst%20Poetry%20Prize.html
      (go to URL above for required entry sheet)

      First Prize $1000 Second $100 Third $50

      All winners and finalists will be published in the March–April 2008 issue.

      Deadline: October 31, 2007 (must be postmarked by)

      Entry fee: $18.00 (includes a one-year subscription). Make your check or money order out
      to North American Review. If you are outside the US, please make sure the entry fee is in
      US currency and routed through a US bank.

      Rules: Two copies of up to five previously unpublished poems. No names on manuscripts.
      please. Your poems will be assigned log numbers so they can be "read blind." Include
      required cover sheet: choose MS Word document or PDF (to open a PDF you will need
      Adobe Reader, available for free download). Simultaneous submission to other journals or
      competitions is not allowed. Poems will not be returned, so please do not send an SASE
      (self-addressed stamped envelope).

      To receive acknowledgement of receipt, please include a self-addressed, stamped
      postcard. If you wish to receive the list of winners, please include a business-size SASE. If
      you would prefer to receive acknowledgement of receipt and the list of winners by e-mail,
      please let us know on the cover sheet. Winners will also be announced in the writers' trade
      magazines and on this website.

      Tips: We have noticed that long poems rarely do well—too much can go wrong in a large
      space. Poems that have reached the finalist stage in our competition in the past are
      typically one to two pages (often much shorter). Winning poems always balance interesting
      subject matter and consummate poetic craft. We value both free verse and formal poems
      in rhyme and meter—both open and closed forms.

      Send entries to:

      James Hearst Poetry Prize
      North American Review (WS)
      University of Northern Iowa
      1222 W. 27th Street
      Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0516
      USA

      Reminder: Please include the required cover sheet. Thank you.

      Questions?
      E-mail <nar(at)uni.edu> (replace (at) with @)
      or call (319) 273-6455 or send a fax to (319) 273-4326
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17 5:24 AM
        2008 James Hearst Poetry Prize
        http://www.webdelsol.com/NorthAmReview/NAR/Hearst%20Poetry%20Prize.html

        First Prize $1000 ... Second $100 ... Third $50

        All winners and finalists will be published in the March-April 2008 issue.

        Deadline: October 31, 2007 (must be postmarked by)

        Entry fee: $18.00 (includes a one-year subscription). Make your check or
        money order out to North American Review. If you are outside the US, please make
        sure the entry fee is in US currency and routed through a US bank.

        Rules: Two copies of up to five previously unpublished poems. No names on
        manuscripts. please. Your poems will be assigned log numbers so they can be "read
        blind." Include required cover sheet (to download cover sheet go to
[...]

        Questions? nar(at)uni.edu (replace (at) with @)
        319 273-6455
        FAX 319-273-4326

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007
          North American Review's seventh annual
          JAMES HEARST POETRY PRIZE

          Deadline: October 31, 2007
          Judge: Molly Peacock
          First Prize:         $1000
          Second Prize:    $100
          Third Prize:       $50
          Winners and finalists will be published in the magazine.

          Entry fee: $18.00 (includes one-year subscription) Make check or money
          order out to North American Review. If you are outside the US, please
          make sure your entry fee is in US currency and routed through a US bank.

          Two copies of up to five previously unpublished poems. No names on
          manuscripts, please. Your poems will be assigned log numbers so they can
          be "read blind." Include required cover sheet (see:
          <http://webdelsol.com/NorthAmReview/NAR>). Simultaneous submission to
          other journals or competitions is not allowed. Poems will not be
          returned, so please do not send an SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope).

          To receive acknowledgment of receipt, please include a self-addressed
          stamped postcard. If you wish to receive the list of winners, please
          enclose a business-size SASE. If you would prefer to receive
          acknowledgment of receipt and the list of winners by e-mail, please let
          us know on the cover sheet. Winners will also be announced in the
          writers' trade magazines and on our website at
          <http://webdelsol.com/NorthAmReview/NAR>.

          Tips: We have noticed that long poems rarely do well-too much can go
          wrong in a large space. Poems that have reached the finalist stage in
          our competition in the past are typically one to two pages. Winning
          poems always balance interesting subject matter and consummate poetic
          craft. We value both free verse and formal poems in rhyme and meter-both
          open and closed forms.

          Submit to:
          James Hearst Poetry Prize
          North American Review (CRWOPPS)
          University of Northern Iowa
          1222 West 27th Street
          Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0516   USA

          JAMES HEARST was a well-known "farmer-poet." Before his death in 1983,
          he published numerous poems and books and taught poetry writing at the
          University of Northern Iowa. Hearst's collected poems were published in
          2001 by the University of Iowa Press.

          MOLLY PEACOCK is the author of five books of poetry, including
          Cornucopia: New & Selected Poems (Norton). Among her other works are How
          To Read A Poem and Start A Poetry Circle and the co-editor of Poetry in
          Motion: One Hundred Poems from the Subways and Buses.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2013
            James Hearst Poetry Prize
            https://northamericanreview.submittable.com/submit
            http://www.northamericanreview.org

            First Prize: $1,000.  You may submit up to five previously unpublished poems. All contact information should be entered in your cover letter. No names or addresses should appear on manuscripts. please. Your poems will be assigned log numbers so they can be "read blind." Simultaneous submission to other journals or competitions is not allowed. Payment will be required as part of the sign up procedure which will provide you with a one-year subscription of
            North American Review.

            Last day to submit is October 31, 2013.

            If you are unable to submit or pay via the online submission manager, please call (319) 273-3026 for alternate submission and payment options.

            You will receive acknowledgment of receipt via email after your submission has been completed. Winners will also be announced in the writers' trade magazines and on our website.

            Please Note: If you pay via PayPal you can use the link at the bottom of this page to process your payment through Submishmash, LLC. We cannot process payments via PayPal through hearstprize@... or through nar@....