flash fiction anthology seeks submissions

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2009
      Contemporary American Flash Fiction

      edited by Todd James Pierce & Ryan Van Cleave

      to be published by MacAdam/Cage 2010

      Call them micro fictions, short shorts, flash fictions, or sudden fictions.  In our anthology, we mean stories between one and six pages in length (double-spaced, 12-point font).  We are looking for 50 excellent examples of flash fiction written or published in the past 10 years.

      Unlike other flash fiction anthologies, ours will be published as a trade anthology with an eye toward the textbook market.  In addition to the stories themselves, our book will include an extensive appendix on “How to Write Flash Fiction,” featuring craft essays on flash fiction: its forms, narrative strategies, and tips to get you writing.

      All the nitty-gritty: The anthology will be edited by Ryan Van Cleave and myself (Todd James Pierce).  (We previously co-edited the college textbook, Behind the Short Story.)  We have an agreement with MacAdam/Cage to publish this anthology, with a likely pubdate of July 2010.  Many stories in our anthology have been solicited from well-known authors (including Stuart Dybek, George Saunders, Julianna Baggott, Dan Chaon, Cris Maza, Tom Franklin, Melanie Rae Thon, Alberto Rios, George Singleton, and others).  But in order to create the best anthology possible, we are also hosting an open call for flash fiction for American writers.  Stories can be previously published, such as in
      literary journals, magazines, books, and other anthologies.  In fact, we prefer stories to have been previously published, though previous publication is not absolutely necessary.

      To submit, send me, Todd James Pierce <flashanthology(at)yahoo.com> (replace (at) with @) one or two flash fictions.  As we expect to receive hundreds (if not thousands) of submissions, send your best work.  In your email, include a short bio, highlighting your experience as a writer and your previous publication credits.  Ryan and I will create a short list of stories for the anthology.   Final decisions for inclusion will be made by myself and Ryan in conjunction with editors at MacAdam/Cage.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10 8:54 AM
        International flash anthology: We’re looking for stories under 750
        words for Flash Fiction International, due from distinguished publisher
        W.W. Norton in 2014.

        We generally prefer recent, previously published work (recent=within
        the last ten years or so), but we will also consider unpublished
        submissions. The stories must be in English, originally or in
        translation. Limit of 3 stories.

        Editors for the Norton Sudden and Flash Fiction book series, James
        Thomas and Robert Shapard, are joined by Chris Merrill, director of the
        U of Iowa International Writing Program.

        We would be grateful for any leads to authors we should read, besides
        yourself. Also, please let us know if you know any good, brief quotes
        that can be related to very short fiction (for example, Friedrich
        Nietzsche said, “It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others
        say in a whole book.”)

        Send submissions by email attachment to james45387ATyahooDOTcom, or
        send print copy to James Thomas, 99 W. 3rd St. #5, Xenia, OH, U.S.A.
        45385. Deadline is August 15.