short prose contest: Gulf Coast

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2009
      Announcing the Second Annual Donald Barthelme Prize for Short Prose:
      http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/index.php?n=7

      Named in honor of Gulf Coast's founder, the Donald Barthelme Prize awards $500 and publication in the upcoming issue of Gulf Coast for one prose poem, micro-essay, or piece of flash fiction.

      The 2009 prize-winning entry will be selected by Mary Robison.

      Guidelines: Submit up to 3 previously unpublished prose poems, short stories, or micro-essays, each no more than 500 words in length. Your name and address should appear on the cover letter only. All entries will be considered for publication, though only one will receive our $500 prize. Include an SASE for results. Manuscripts will not be returned.

      Your $15 reading fee, payable to "Gulf Coast," will include a one-year subscription.

      Postmark deadline: August 31, 2009.

      Send Entries to:
      Barthelme Prize
      Gulf Coast Journal
      Department of English
      University of Houston
      Houston, TX 77204-3013
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5 7:26 AM
        Announcing the Second Annual Donald Barthelme Prize for Short Prose:
        http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/index.php?n=7&sn=14

        Named in honor of Gulf Coast's founder, the Donald Barthelme Prize awards $500 and publication in the upcoming issue of Gulf Coast for one prose poem, micro-essay, or piece of flash fiction.

        The 2009 prize-winning entry will be selected by Mary Robison, author of Why Did I Ever and One D.O.A., One on the Way.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2012
          2012 Barthelme Prize for Short Prose
          Judged by Ander Monson
          Deadline: September 1

          http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/contests

          http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/submissions/
          Gulf Coast is now accepting entries for the 2012 Barthelme Prize for Short Prose. The contest is open to pieces of prose poetry, flash fiction, and micro-essays of 500 words or fewer. Established in 2008, the contest awards its winner $1,000 and publication in the journal. Two honorable mentions will also appear in issue 25.2, due out in April 2013, and all entries will be considered for paid publication on our website.

          This year’s contest will be judged by Ander Monson, the author of a number of paraphernalia, including a website, a decoder wheel, several chapbooks, as well as five books, most recently Vanishing Point: Not a Memoir (Graywolf Press, 2010) andThe Available World (Sarabande Books, 2010). He lives in Tucson where he teaches in the MFA program at the University of Arizona and edits the journal DIAGRAM and the New Michigan Press.

          Entries are due September 1, 2012.

          We will accept submissions both via our online submissions manager and via postal mail.

          Contest Guidelines for Online Submissions
          - Submissions accepted via Gulf Coast’s online submissions manager at
          http://www.gulfcoastmag.org/submissions/
          - Submit up to three pieces of short prose in a single .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf file.
          - Only previously unpublished work will be considered.
          - The contest will be judged blindly, so please do not include your cover letter, your name, or any contact information in the uploaded document. This information should only be pasted in the “Comments” field.
          - After submitting your work you will be redirected to PayPal to authorize your $17 reading fee. You do not need a PayPal account to submit to the contest; PayPal accepts all major credit cards for payment. We will contact you if there are any issues with your payment.

          Contest Guidelines for Postal Mail Submissions
          - Only previously unpublished work will be considered.
          - Please address postal mail entries to:

          Gulf Coast
          ATTN: Barthelme Prize in Short Prose
          Department of English
          University of Houston
          Houston, TX 77204-3013

          - The contest will be judged blindly, so your contact information should appear only on your cover letter.
          - Please include your $17 reading fee, payable to “Gulf Coast.”