online journal seeks submissions from writers of color: KWELI

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009
      The word is out. The poetry of Patricia Spears Jones, the prose of Nelly Rosario and a photo essay by Thomas Sayers Ellis will grace the pages of Kweli Journal’s premier issue. Add your voice. Share your visions. Join us.

      http://www.kwelijournal.com/%c2%a0

      Kweli Journal is a new online literary journal established to identify, promote, and nurture emerging writers of color. We also seek to expand the audience of authors of color who already have a foothold in the industry. Our mission, as editors and publishers, is to find a broad, international audience for the artists that we publish and the work that we find engaging and uncompromising.

      As a biannual publication, Kweli plans to publish Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer editions. We encourage new and emerging artists, as well as established voices to submit their work for consideration. Kweli is particularly interested in short stories, poetry, and excerpts from novels that are self-contained. We seek high quality literary work that is beautiful and sustaining, profound and powerful.

      THE SUBMISSION PROCESS:

      Please provide the following:

      A cover letter telling us something about yourself. Please include current contact information (full name, mailing address, telephone number(s), e-mail address) and title(s) of submitted work.

      Two printed copies of your unpublished work(s).

      Prose: Send one prose piece. We primarily look for short stories, but novel excerpts are acceptable if self-contained. Prose should be
      double-spaced on one side.

      Poetry: Send up to three poems at a time. Single-space, please; set your poem as you want it to appear on the printed page.

      Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as they are indicated as such. Authors must immediately notify the submissions manager if said work has been selected for publication in another periodical, either in print or online.

      Fall/Winter Submission Deadline: August 10, 2009.

      Mail required material to:

      Kweli Journal
      c/o William E. Berry, Jr.
      Submissions Manager
      P.O. Box 1813
      Auburn, New York 13021

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2009
[...]

        Fall/Winter Submission Deadline EXTENDED:  August 31, 2009.

        Mail required material to:

        Kweli Journal
        c/o  William E. Berry, Jr.
        Submissions Manager
        P.O. Box 1813
        Auburn, New York  13021

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 22, 2010
          Kweli Journal has extended its call for submissions to its Fall/Winter 2010 issue. The theme is "sanctuary."

          Kweli is a new online literary journal established to identify, promote and nurture emerging writers of color. We also seek to expand the audience of authors of color who already have a foothold in the industry. Our mission, as editors and publishers, is to find a broad, international audience for the artists that we publish and the work that we find engaging and uncompromising.

          As a biannual publication, Kweli plans to publish Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer editions. We encourage new and emerging artists, as well as established voices, to submit their work for consideration. Kweli is particularly interested in short stories, poetry, and essays. We seek high quality literary work that is beautiful and sustaining, profound and powerful.

          THE SUBMISSION PROCESS:

          Please provide the following:

          A cover letter telling us something about yourself. Please include current contact information (full name, mailing address, telephone number(s), e-mail address) and title(s) of submitted work.

          Two printed copies of your unpublished work(s).

          Fiction: Send one prose piece. We primarily look for short stories, but novel excerpts are acceptable if self-contained. Prose should be double-spaced on one side.

          Nonfiction: Send one prose piece. We primarily look for personal essays, but memoir excerpts are acceptable if self-contained. Prose should be double-spaced on one side.

          Poetry: Send up to three poems at a time. Single-space, please; set your poem as you want it to appear on the printed page.

          Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as they are indicated as such. Authors must immediately notify the submissions manager if said work has been selected for publication in another periodical, either in print or online.

          Fall/Winter Submission Deadline: October 21, 2010.

          Mail required material to:

          Kweli Journal, Inc.
          P.O. Box 693
          New York, New York 10021