fiction/nonfiction/poetry contest: Bellevue Literary Review

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2009
      The Bellevue Literary Review Prizes in Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry

      http://www.blreview.org/Contest/contest_guidelines.htm
      $1000 Goldenberg Prize for Fiction
      $1000 Carter V. Cooper Memorial Prize for Nonfiction
      $1000 Marica and Jan Vilcek Prize for Poetry

      Please note that we are temporarily unable to accept credit cards payments online. See #12 to pay by check or credit card by phone. We apologize for the inconvenience.

      BLR Prize Guidelines:

      1.

      BLR Prize awards outstanding writing related to themes of health, healing, illness, the mind, and the body. First prize is $1000 (in each genre) and publication in the Spring 2010 issue of the BLR.

      2.

      Prose limited to 5000 words. Up to 3 poems (maximum 5 pages). Submissions that exceed these limits will be disqualified.

      3.

      Deadline August 1, 2009. Winners will be announced by December 31, 2009.

      4.

      Entry fee is $15 per submission. For an additional $5, you will receive a 1 year subscription to the BLR. (Maximum: two submissions per person).

      5.

      Manuscripts are submitted electronically as a Microsoft Word document. (Save with a *.doc extension). Please combine all poems into one document and use first poem as title.

      6.

      Do not put your name on the manuscript document. (This will be entered separately on our website.) No cover letter needed.

      7.

      When entering the title in the website, pleas
      e prefix with "Contest." (e.g. Contest : The Iliad.) This is extremely important and we appreciate your cooperation!

      8.

      Work previously published* in print or electronically will not be considered. (Please see footnote below for specific definition of “published.”)

      9.

      Simultaneous submissions are permitted, but we ask that you notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere. (This will avoid potentially awkward situations.) We regret that there can be no refunds or substitutions for withdrawn work.

      10.

      Students/friends/colleagues/relations of any of the judges are not permitted to enter submissions to that judge's genre.

      11.

      BLR acquires first-time North American rights. After publication, all rights revert to the author and may be reprinted as long as appropriate acknowledgement to BLR is made. All entries will also be considered for regular publication.

      12.

      Due to administrative costs, if no entry fee is received, manuscript will be placed with general submissions.Because of a temporary glitch, we are unable to accept credit card purchases over the web (to be fixed soon!) Please send payment by check, or call during business hours to give credit card info.

      By mail: send check and printout of confirmation email to:
      Bellevue Literary Review
      Dept of Medicine, Rm OBV-612
      NYU School of Medicine
      550 First Avenue
      New York, NY 10016

      By phone: 212-263-3973

      We sincerely apologize for the incovenience and appreciate your forbearance.

      13.

      Submit manuscript at
      http://www.blreview.org/Contest/contest_guidelines.htm

       scroll down (with Contest in title). Thank you!!

      Some troubleshooting tips:
      A. The system can't manage ".docx." files. Please save file in an older version of Word.
      B. If there's trouble using Firefox, try Internet Explorer.
      C. Keep file name short and simple.
      D. If you can't upload, try logging in and then logging out. Sometimes the system needs a beauty rest.
      E. Thanks for your patience!

      *For the BLR , “published work” means published in print in North America, or published on the Internet in electronic journals, e-zines, academic websites, and other “public” or “official” websites. Works posted on personal blogs or websites will be considered on a case-by-case basis. We ask that authors be honest about web postings. (If a work is discovered to have been posted or published elsewhere--and not openly acknowledged by the author in advance--we willremove it from consideration.)

      Questions? Please contact us: info@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 16, 2010
        Now Accepting Entries for the Bellevue Literary Review Prizes in Fiction, Nonfiction, & Poetry
        www.BLReview.org

        The Bellevue Literary Review Prizes recognize exceptional writing about health, healing, illness, the mind, and the body. First prize is $1000 and publication in the Spring 2011 issue of the Bellevue Literary Review.

        $1000 Goldenberg Prize for Fiction (Judged by Andre Dubus III)
        $1000 Carter V. Cooper Memorial Prize for Nonfiction (Judged by Jerome Groopman)
        $1000 Marica and Jan Vilcek Prize for Poetry (Judged by Marie Ponsot)

        Deadline: July 1, 2010

        Submit manuscripts online at www.BLReview.org. Prose should be limited to 5000 words. Poetry submissions should have no more than three poems (max five pages). Work previously published (including on the Internet) cannot be considered. Entry fee is $15 per submission. For an additional $5, you will receive a one-year subscription to the BLR.

        For complete guidelines, please visit www.BLReview.org. Please feel free to contact us with any questions:<info(at)BLReview.org> (replace (at) with @)