call for submissions: Super Arrow

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
      CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

      Super Arrow is looking to foster potential literature escapades for our glittering, millennial universe. This online publication is based in St. Louis, Missouri, and will have a printed component as its momentum builds. We are looking to publish writing of all sorts, (both creative and more occasionally critical), as well as visual and audio art. Submit to <superarrowfliestrue(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @).

      The publication will be centered on a particular "assignment" for each issue, and is designed to be a generative, community-based entity, more than an exclusively exhibitive one.

      If the first assignment doesn't particularly grab you, consider keeping an eye out for future assignments that might not let you go, (hopefully in a good way). It's my intention that each issue be curated more than edited, based on the diverse personalities and aesthetics of submissions received. If you know someone who might be into what Super Arrow is into, please forward them the url.

      For the inaugural assignment (THIS IS NOT MY SPECIALITY), and a longer mission statement, head to the blog, which can be found at superarrow.blogspot.com. The submission deadline for the first issue will be August 15th.

      Sincerely,

      Amanda Goldblatt, Ed.

      <superarrowfliestrue(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 27, 2010
        issue 3 of Super Arrow is looking to gather.
        http://superarrow.blogspot.com/

        We’d like to welcome you to submit your writing and art for publication in our online journal for creative experiments. The journal was originally conceived as a first cousin several times removed from movements like OULIPO, which is to say, process-informed, stretching, and connected to a collaborative/creative community. Please read past issues to have an idea of our aesthetic and project, but by all means please avoid feeling constricted by same.

        Super Arrow is published twice a year, with a Spring/Summer issue and a Fall/Winter issue.

        We publish fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and visual art. Please see our online submissions guidelines for genre-specific notes. In addition, we’re often interested in our readers committing to an “assignment” (i.e., prompt) – Issue 3’s assignment, TOGETHER, NOW, is all about collaboration.

        If you have a work that doesn’t seem to quite fit with what we’ve yet described, but you still think it’s kismet – a critical essay, perhaps – please write us a note describing your project.

        E-mail submissions and/or questions and/or…
        <superarrowfliestrue(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @)

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 14, 2010

          E-mail submissions and/or questions and/or…<superarrowfliestrue(at)gmail.com> (replace (at) with @)
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
            Super Arrow, a biannual online journal for experiments in writing and
            art, is now accepting submissions for our fourth issue.

            We’re looking for work that understands experiment and formal play,
            while keeping sweet vigilance on the line-level, in order to make that
            which is vital and exciting, earnest and true, makes a new universe,
            echoes a real one.

            Creative nonfiction and fiction writers should feel especially
            encouraged to share their work with us. Show us prose’s new potential.
            Let narrative have some fun.

            It should be noted, too, that we have a commitment to visual art, and
            have in past issues published drawings, collage, music, paintings,
            photography, and documentary of installation work.

            Our special folio assignment this issue is titled, “So Nice To Meet You
            Again For The First Time Ever,” and asks writers and artists to make
            work through the medium of a new persona. Head to
            http://www.superarrow.org/Assignment.html for more information.

            All submissions can be made through our online submissions manager at
            Submishmash: http://superarrow.submishmash.com/Submit

            Take a gander at our new [huge and wonderful] issue, No. 3, at
            superarrow.org.

            Any questions should be directed to <editor(at)superarrow.org> (replace
            (at) with (@) in sending e-mail).

            Thanks, and best wishes for a full and happy year,

            Super Arrow
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 20, 2011
              http://superarrow.submishmash.com/Submit

              We write to you from a sunny place, where though the branches are yet
              bare, our legs may be similarly and comfortably unsheathed. We invite
              you to help celebrate this heady end of hibernation season by
              submitting your writing and art to Super Arrow.

              We are looking for fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, as well as any
              cross-genre sally-forths – make your words count, and your notions
              rich, your formal methods as carefully wrought as the content they
              envelop. We like the dad-joke funny and the unpredictably poignant as
              well as great beauty and confident homeliness; we like loyalty to sonic
              texture and a lashing-to of tension and motion; we like lots of things
              un-listable here and this can be best understood by reading the current
              and past issues in the archive at superarrow.org.

              We are also looking for serious visual and audio work. We like to
              present work which is stand-alone, rather than illustrative, and which
              holds within it some conceptual affinity to ideas of creative
              experimentation and process. In the past, we’ve published drawings,
              collage, installation work, improvisational sound collaboration, and
              photography. Super Arrow is interested in sustaining an
              interdisciplinary venue; help us, oh artist types, in doing this.

              LASTLY, and not LEASTLY, our Issue Four Assignment Folio concerns the
              idea of persona in all sorts of work. Send us work you made that was
              somehow made, you feel, by other people. We do not state it this way to
              be difficult or abstract. Ideas of identity and maker-ship are
              shifty…What new people must we make up in order to invent new artistic
              approaches? See http://www.superarrow.org/Assignment.html for more
              details, and stay tuned to the blog for more in our Chatbot Series, as
              vaguely fictionalized versions of our editorial staff try to discuss
              the concept of PERSONA with artificially intelligent beings, to mixed
              success.

              We’ll be accepting submissions through Tax Day, April 15, 2011,
              midnight for the submitter’s time zone, through our Submishmash manager
              at
              http://superarrow.submishmash.com/Submit
              As always, we’d be so pleased if you would forward this to any of your
              creative compatriots, or post this call on your blog, Facebook or
              Twitter accounts. (Also, don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow
              us on Twitter, to stay best abreast of news and future calls!)

              Yours in Creative Experiment and Impatient Thermometer Watching,
              Super Arrow
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
                Super Arrow is an online journal for experiments in writing and art, and we're looking for work that sends us giggling through the ringer, confronts us with new sensations, invents form to fit concept. We like fiction that builds universes and sparks at the line-level, and nonfiction that pushes through convention to find bright ways to reflect our human experience back on itself. We like poetry full of syllabic burrs, from poets who take risks. Visual and audio art that investigates process and plucks both seriously and comically at disciplinary context pleases us lots. We like other things, and also things we don't even know we like yet, we imagine. Check out our archive at www.superarrow.org to see a bit of what we've published in the past.

                For each issue, we offer a conceptually-driven folio, and this one -- called "FROM HERE TO THERE" is inspired by maps. We invite you to submit all manners of map-inspired and map-troubling work. Head to www.superarrow.org/Assignment.html for more information.

                To submit, please visit our online submissions manager at superarrow.submishmash.com. We're looking forward to seeing your work, and please do forward this call to any artmaker who may be interested. We as a publication thrive on community and connection. Be the life of our party!

                Sincerely, and With Best Wishes for a Bright and Productive Summertime,
                Super Arrow
                editor(at)superarrow.org