novella contest: Miami University Press

    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2009
      Miami University Novella Contest

      http://www.orgs.muohio.edu/mupress/novella.html

      The novella form has had a long and distinguished place in American literature, and has triumphed in the hands of Herman Melville, Henry James, Katherine Anne Porter, Stanley Elkin, Cynthia Ozick, Jane Smiley, Toni Morrison, Philip Roth, Saul Bellow, William Gass, John Gardner, Andrea Barrett and Tobias Wolff, to name just a few.

      As commercial publishers are driven more and more by marketplace concerns, novellas, by nature of their length, often fall between the cracks of short story collections and novels and wind up being published—if at all—not as individual volumes but as part of a collection of stories. Because the form is such a pleasure for readers and writers alike—short enough to be read at a single sustained sitting, but long enough to allow the writer greater freedom in character and plot development than does the short story—we are happy to present a rare venue for publishing individual novellas as stand-alone volumes.

      Manuscripts submitted for the award will be read and evaluated by our creative writingfaculty, all of whom are active publishing writers. The manuscripts will be read “blind;” in other words, all identifiers will be stripped from the pages before the manuscripts are read, and the author’s history of previous publication will not be available to readers. Each year a different member of our faculty will serve as the final judge and will decide from among the list of
      finalists submitted by the other readers.

      Students, former students, faculty, former faculty, or anyone connected to Miami University will not be considered for the award. Though we believe strongly in the talent of those we have worked with and taught, we will do everything we can to assure that this prize is administered impartially, fairly, and without regard to association.

      Miami University Press is a non-profit organization. Though we are requiring an entrance fee (currently $25), we wish to make it clear that this money will be used to pay for the administrative costs of the contest, to help with the costs of publishing a book of high quality, and to allow each entrant to receive a copy of the winning volume. We want that book to be a pleasure to hold in the hands and to read. The winning volume will be distributed nationwide.

      Submission rules and guidelines:

      Below are general guidelines for the contest.

      Entries for the 2009 contest must be postmarked by October 2, 2009.

      Submit manuscripts, 18,000–40,000 words, with two title pages: one with author’s name, address and phone number, one without. Author’s name must not appear elsewhere. Word count must be included on title page.

      Reading fee U.S. $25, payable to Miami University Press (check or money order; no cash or credit cards).

      Winning entry receives $1,000 and book publication.

      All entrants receive copy of winning book.

      Mail to:
      MU Press Novella Prize
      English Department
      356 Bachelor Hall
      Miami University,
      Oxfor
      d, OH 45056

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2014
        Submissions link:
        https://mupress.submittable.com/submit/30142

        Miami University Press invites submissions to its 2015 Novella Prize. The prize is awarded to a novella-length manuscript of original fiction. The 2015 judge is Joseph Bates. Our $25 reading fee entitles each entrant to a copy of the winning novella. Visitmiamioh.edu/mupress/novella for more details about the prize.
        • Length Requirements: Manuscripts must be 18,000–40,000 words.

        • Format Requirements: Manuscripts should be double-spaced and use a standard 12 pt. font. Be sure your name does not appear anywhere on the manuscript.

        • Eligibility: Previously published works are not eligible. Simultaneous submissions are welcomed; please notify us immediately if your submission is accepted for publication elsewhere.

          Previous Novella Prize winners are ineligible. Previous finalists, however, may enter again.

          Students, former students, faculty, former faculty, or anyone connected to Miami University are not eligible to enter. By submitting your work and the form below you certify that you are not in any way affiliated with Miami University.
        Thank you for your interest. We look forward to reading your entry.