multigenre writing contest: White County Creative Writers
- White County Creative Writers offers fourteen contests in conjunction with our 14th annual writers' conference. You do NOT have to attend the conference to enter. We extend a heartfelt "thank you" to all the sponsors that make these contests possible. Please give them your support.
2009 CONTESTS -
1. WCCW Award - Children's Story (writer specifies age group) 1500 words maximum - Sponsored by White County Creative Writers .
2. RobertsFamilyArk - Short story, fantasy 2000 words maximum Sponsored by the Roberts Family
3. Love Bytes Award - Love Poem, any form - 50 lines maximum Sponsor: Glassworks Ink (link)
4. New Idea Award Short Story, humorous - write about three ladies who steal a painting. 1500 words maximum Sponsor: Jean Gipson
5. Tumbleweed Award Western Novel - Three chapters, synopsis, and query letter Sponsor: Dusty Richards
6. Family Matters Award - Essay on a person in your family of significance to you. 2000 words maximum Sponsor: Debra Middleton
7. The Penpoint Group Award Short Story, Mystery 2,500 words maximum Sponsor: The Penpoint Group
8. Central Arkansas Writers Award Essay: Cause and Effect Write about decisions and events that have changed your life. 800 words maximum Spon
sor: Central Arkansas Writers
9. The Ozarks Mountaineer Award - Short Memoir, to be considered for publication 2500 words maximum Sponsor: The Ozarks Mountaineer Dr. Fred Pfister, Editor (www.ozarksmountaineer.com for guidelines)
10. New Writer Contest - Personal essay by someone who has never won money in a contest 1000 words maximum Sponsor: Dorothy Hatfield
11. Bob Jones and Faye Williams Jones Poetry Award Free Verse, any subject 40 lines maximum Sponsor: Bob Jones and Faye Williams Jones
12. Word Weaving Short Story, no horror or erotica Must include these four words: Kestrel, Molasses, Squid, Wink - 1500 words maximum Sponsor: Fiction Writers of Central Arkansas
13. HPMEC Award Short Story Short Story - Sharing a train ride with Ernest Hemingway 3000 words maximum Sponsor: Hemingway-Pfeiffer Creative Writers' Retreat (link)
14. LovePat Award Personal Essay Subject: How I, A Writer, Use What I Read The subject may be used as title or 2009 Contest Regulations
Noncompliance with any regulation will result in a disqualified entry
1. Registration to attend conference does not include contest fees. You do NOT have to attend the conference to enter. Contest fees of $5 for first entry and $3 for each entry thereafter must be mailed on or before July 24, 2009. Total your
entry fees and make one check payable to White County Creative Writers. No fees returned.
2. Deadline for postmarking contest entries is July 24, 2009. WCCW is not responsible for manuscripts lost, delayed, or received too late for judging. Do not send SASE: No entries will be returned. Entries will be destroyed two weeks after conference.
3. Only one typed, unpublished manuscript may be entered in each contest. Double-space prose; double- or single- space poetry. Use standard manuscript form ( click here)
4. No entry may be entered in more than one contest. No one may enter the contest for which he or she serves as sponsor, chairman, or judge. An entry that won first place last year may not be entered in the same contest if this year's contest is identical to last year's.
5. Put CONTEST NUMBER and NAME OF AWARD in upper left corner of each manuscript (entry). Do NOT put your name on the manuscript. Attach a cover sheet to each manuscript with - a) number and name of contest, b) title of entry, c) first line of entry, d) your name, mailing address, and phone number. Include your e-mail address if you wish.
6. Mail all contest entries and contest fees to:
802 WEST CENTER
BEEBE, AR 72012
7. Prizes: 1ST PLACE - $25.00, 2ND PLACE - $15.00, 3RD PLACE - $10.00. Certificates, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Honorable Mention. Number of Awards for each cont
est will be determined by judges.
Winners not attending will be notified by mail the week after the conference.
for questions about contests or regulations, call (501) 882-7132 or e-mail<dothatfield(at)sbclobal.net>
(replace (at) with @)
dothatfield@... 1000 words maximum Sponsor: Pat Laster
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]