poetry book contest: U of Akron Series
- The Akron Series in Poetry was founded to bring to the public writers who speak in original and compelling voices. Each year, The University of Akron Press offers the Akron Poetry Prize, a competition open to all poets writing in English. The winning poet receives $1,000 and publication of his or her book. The final selection will be made by a nationally prominent poet. The final judge for 2009 is Martín Espada. Other manuscripts may also be considered for publication in the series.
Guidelines for Submission
1. Manuscripts must be typed and consecutively numbered, for a total length of at least 48 pages. Clear photocopies are acceptable. Please, do not send manuscripts bound or enclosed in covers.
2. Manuscripts must include a cover page (with author's name, address, phone number, and manuscript title), a title page (with no biographical information), and an acknowledgements page listing poems previously published in periodicals. Please do not submit manuscripts that have the author's name on each page. Manuscripts go to the final judge blind.
3. Manuscripts must be postmarked between May 1 and June 15 of each year. Simultaneous submissions are permitted, but The University of Akron Press must be notified immediately if the manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
4. An entry fee of $25 is required for each manuscript submission. Make check or money order payable to The University of Akron Press. The cancelled check will serve as notification of receipt.
5. Contest results will be posted on our website www.uakr
tryprizewinner.html by September 30. No manuscripts can be returned.
6. Books accepted for the Akron Series in Poetry must exhibit three essential qualities: mastery of language, maturity of feeling, and complexity of thought. The University of Akron Press is committed to publishing poetry that, as Robert Frost said, "begins in delight and ends in wisdom." Intimate friends, relatives, current and former students of the final judge (students in an academic, degree-conferring program or its equivalent) are not eligible to enter the 2009 Akron Poetry Prize competition.
Send manuscripts to:
The Akron Poetry Prize
The University of Akron Press
Akron, OH 44325-1703
For further questions on the submission of manuscripts to the UAP poetry series, contact:
Series Editor Mary Biddinger
University of Akron Press
Akron, OH 44325-1703
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]