call for poems: protestpoems.org

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2009
      About us:

      Writing for human rights

      protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

      The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

      The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

      Submission guidelines

      It’s simple.

      We’re not looking for partisan propganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

      We want you to champion, not yourselves, but human rights; the rights of those who don’t have the freedom to write and speak as we do. Rage. Celebrate. Mourn. Demand. Scream. Dance.

      Formal complaints are especially exciting. There’s something wonderfully subversive about a villanelle that attacks a government deliberately
      making the same mistake over and over again.

      If you need to be inspired, read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Then check out any objective newsfeed or news site.

      Paste your poems (a maximum of 3 one-page poems), into the body of an email and send to <write(at)protestpoems.org> (replace (at) with @). If necessary, you can email a single .doc or .rtf file containing all the poems you are submitting.

      Include a brief bio.

      We will accept poems previously published on paper, as long as you hold the copyright. We will not accept poems which are already (or have previously been) published online (including blogs). We will publish a poet only once a year.

      If your poem deals with a specific call for action, or commemorates a specific person, please let us know.

      Remaining publication dates for the first half of 2009 are :

      09 May
      23 May
      06 Jun
      20 Jun

      Message 2 of 8 , May 23, 2009
        protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

        The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

        The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

        Planned remaining publication dates for the first half of 2009 are :

        06 Jun

        20 Jun

        Submission guidelines

        It’s simple.

        We’re not looking for partisan propaganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

[...]

        We look forward to reading your poems.

        In hope for a better world,

        Richard Pierce-Saunderson, Editor

        Cati Porter, Assoc. Editor

        Ren Powell, Assoc. Editor (protest info)

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 23, 2009
          protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

          The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

          The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

          The publishing schedule for the remainder of the year is:

          08 August
          22 August
          05 September
          19 September
          03 October
          17 October
          31 October
          14 November
          28 November
          12 December

          Submission guidelines

          It’s simple.

          We’re not looking for partisan propaganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

          We want you to champion, not yourselves, but human rights; the rights of those who don’t have the freedom to write and speak as we do. Rage. Celebrate. Mourn. Demand. Scream. Dance.

          =0
          AFormal complaints are especially exciting. There’s something wonderfully subversive about a villanelle that attacks a government deliberately making the same mistake over and over again.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
              protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully
              committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

              The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to
              promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly.
              We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of
              relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very
              selective. We are looking for edge.

              The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted
              writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut
              and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest
              information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to
              write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

              Planned remaining publication dates for the remainder of 2010 are :

              06 Nov
              20 Nov
              04 Dec
              18 Dec

              The first 2011 edition will be on 08 Jan 2011

[...]

              email and send to <write(at)protestpoems.org> (replace (at) with @ when
              sending e-mail). If necessary, you can email a single .doc or .rtf file