poetry book contest: Omnidawn

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2009
      Ann Lauterbach will judge the 2009 Omnidawn Poetry Contest

      Submissions accepted by Omnidawn March 1 – June 30, 2009

      http://www..omnidawn.com/contest/contest_guidelines.htm

      The 2009 Omnidawn Poetry Prize is Omnidawn Publishing’s second annual contest for a first or second full-length collection of poems by a poet writing in English. The contest will be judged by Ann Lauterbach, with a cash prize of $2,000 and Fall 2010 publication by Omnidawn Publishing with full publicity and advertising of the book to Omnidawn standards. The prize also includes 100 free copies of the book. Manuscripts will remain anonymous until a winner is selected.

      Deadline:

      — Envelope must be postmarked on or between March 1st of 2009 and June 30th of 2009.

      General Guidelines:

      — The entering manuscript must be your first or second full length poetry book. (If you have written two or more poetry books that have been published or accepted for publication you are ineligible for this contest.) Chapbook publication has no bearing on this.
      — The poet must be writing in English. Translations are ineligible.
      — Entry fee of $25 must accompany each submission; make check payable to Omnidawn Publishing. We cannot accept any other form of payment at this time.
      — The entry fee entitles you to one Omnidawn title from our catalogue. Please see website page "Omnidawn Titles" for full catalogue of books from which you ca
      n choose. If you would like to receive an Omnidawn book of your choice and you live in the United States include a US Post Office 9.5"x 12.5" Flat Rate Priority Mail Envelope with $ 4.95 standard postage stamp(s) to cover shipping. Do NOT use computer generated postage such as Click-n-Ship, E-Stamps, or Endicia because this postage is date and zip code specific and we cannot use it. On the outside of the envelope please write in the title you are requesting. We will enclose your book in a protective mailer, place it in your envelope, and mail it to you. If you do not include a Stamped Flat Rate envelope we will assume you are not interested in receiving a book. (If you live outside the U.S. and would like an Omnidawn title please add $12.00 for postage to the entry fee for a total of $37.00 (U.S. Dollars) and include a self addressed envelope with the name of the book you want printed on the front.)
      — Multiple submissions to this contest are acceptable but each manuscript must be entered under separate cover, each with separate check for entry fee.
      — Simultaneous submissions are fine but please let us know if your manuscript is accepted by another publisher while under our consideration.
      — No revisions to submitted manuscripts will be considered.

      Manuscript Submission Requirements:

      — We recommend that the manuscript be no fewer than 40 pages and no more than 70 pages. The manuscript should be paginated with a table of contents and enclosed in a standa
      rd manila folder. Nothing should be written on the manila folder. Each manuscript should include one cover page with title of manuscript only and a second cover page with title plus your name, address, telephone number, email address, and where you learned about the Omnidawn contest (to the best of your recollection). If you have requested a free book please list the requested title below your contact information.
      — Please do NOT include an acknowledgements page or a cover letter or bio.
      — Please do NOT contact us with queries regarding the status of your submission. Your cancelled check will indicate that we have received your entry.
      — Please do NOT enclose a SASE for return of manuscript; all manuscripts will be recycled at the end of our contest. Please notify us if you move or change your email address or phone number; send new address, email address, or phone number  to:submissions@....
      — We will announce the contest results on our web page.
      — Mail manuscript and entry fee to:

      OMNIDAWN POETRY PRIZE
      Omnidawn Publishing
      3263 Kempton Ave
      Oakland, Ca 94611
      —Please do NOT send Fed Ex, UPS or signature-required USPS express mail envelopes; they will not be accepted.

      How We Judge:
      The entries are logged into a database by an assistant not associated with the reading process who registers the personal address information of the entrant, the title of the manuscript, assigns it a number and removes all identifying materials. The manuscripts are the
      n anonymously submitted to the editors of Omnidawn for screening. Omnidawn does not use interns or students to screen for this contest. For the sake of avoiding any conflict of interest, if one of the readers recognizes the work of a colleague, student, or friend, then that manuscript is given to another editor. The final judge receives the top manuscripts from which to select the winner. If the final judge wishes to see additional manuscripts she may request them; the judge is not, however, permitted to request specific manuscripts. Friends, colleagues, and students of the judge are not eligible to compete. The judge is not allowed to choose manuscripts that present a conflict of interest.

      Omnidawn abides by The CLMP Code of Ethics: The Council of Literary Magazines and Presses’ community of independent literary publishers believes that ethical contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest. To that end, we agree to 1) conduct our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors; 2) to provide clear and specific contest guidelines -- defining conflict of interest for all parties involved; and 3) to make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public. This Code recognizes that different contest models produce different results, but that each=2
      0model can be run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.

      Book Production, Distribution, Advertising, and Complimentary Copies:
      The prize winning book will be produced, distributed, and advertised to Omnidawn standards and will also meet the Green Press Initiative standards and have the Green Press Initiative statement on the copyright page. The book will be printed using the same archival quality acid-free paper and full four-color cover used for other Omnidawn books. As with other Omnidawn books, we will encourage the winning poet to participate in the design of the book, including choice of typefaces, cover colors and artwork, with all stages subject to the approval of the winning poet. The book will be distributed worldwide by Omnidawn's distributor, Independent Publishers Group, and will be advertised along with other Omnidawn books inPoets & Writers Magazine, American Poetry Review, American Book Review, Rain Taxi, and other publications. All costs, including production, distribution, and advertising will be fully paid for by Omnidawn. In addition to the $2,000 cash prize, the winning poet will also receive 100 copies of the book free of charge.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3 5:33 AM
[...]

        −The entry fee entitles you to one Omnidawn title from our catalogue. (Please see website page “Omnidawn Titles” for a full catalogue of books from which you can choose.) If you would like to receiv
        e an Omnidawn book of your choice and you live in the United States:

        1. Type your name and address on a separate 8 ½” x 11” piece of white paper. (We will cut your address out and use this as a mailing label.)

        2. Also type the name of the book that you want on the same piece of paper.

        3. Attach $ 2.92 United States postage with its original paper backing to the same piece of paper with a staple. DO NOT STICK THE POSTAGE TO THE PIECE OF PAPER. WE WANT TO USE THE ADHESIVE ON THE POSTAGE TO AFFIX IT TO OUR MAILING ENVELOPE. (You can send exact postage or you can send either seven 42 cent or seven 44 cent stamps. An easy way to do this is to send one 3” x 1 ¾” page from a standard book of twenty stamps with six stamps on one side and one stamp on the other for a total of 7 stamps.) DO NOT use computer generated postage such as Click-n-Ship, E-Stamps, or Endicia because this postage is date and zip code specific and we cannot use it. (Note that we previously requested $4.95 postage on a Flat Rate envelope, but we realized we could ship most lighter books First Class for $2.92 and the heavier books could be sent Media Mail for this amount, so we decided to reduce the postage requirements.)

        Include all of the above with your contest entry and we will send your book in a protective mailer. If you do not include a sheet of paper listing your choice of book with your name and address and postage
        we will assume you are not interested in receiving a book. (If you live outside the U.S. and would like an Omnidawn title please add $12.00 for postage to the entry fee for a total of $37.00 (U.S. Dollars) and include an 8 ½” x 11” white piece of paper with your name typed on it as well as the title of the book you want.)

[...]

        — Please do NOT contact us with queries regarding the status of your submission.=2
        0Your cancelled check will indicate that we have received your entry.
        — Please do NOT enclose a SASE for return of manuscript; all manuscripts will be recycled at the end of our contest. Please notify us if you move or change your email address or phone number; send new address, email address, or phone number  to:<submissions(at)omnidawn.com) (replace (at) with @).
[...]

        Omnidawn abides by The CLMP Code of Ethics: The Council of Literary Magazines and Presses’ community of independent literary publishers believes that ethical contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest. To that end, we agree to 1) conduct our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors; 2) to provide clear and specific contest guidelines -- defining conflict of interest for all parties involved; and 3) to make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public. This Code recognizes that different contest models produce different results, but that each model can be run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.

        Book Production, Distribution, Advertising, and Complimentary Copies:
        The prize winning book will be produced, distributed, and advertised to Omnidawn standards and will also meet the Green Press Initiative standards and have the Green Press Initiative statement on the copyright page. The book will be printed using the same archival quality acid-free paper and full=2
        0four-color cover used for other Omnidawn books. As with other Omnidawn books, we will encourage the winning poet to participate in the design of the book, including choice of typefaces, cover colors and artwork, with all stages subject to the approval of the winning poet. The book will be distributed worldwide by Omnidawn's distributor, Independent Publishers Group, and will be advertised along with other Omnidawn books inPoets & Writers Magazine, American Poetry Review, American Book Review, Rain Taxi, and other publications. All costs, including production, distribution, and advertising will be fully paid for by Omnidawn. In addition to the $2,000 cash prize, the winning poet will also receive 100 copies of the book free of charge.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 18, 2011
          The 2011 Omnidawn 1st/2nd Book Contest
          is currently open

          & accepting both electronic and postal poetry submissions
          through June 30th.

          C.D. Wright will judge.
          Prize includes $3,000, Fall 2012 publication &
          100 complimentary copies of book.
          Entry Fee $25.

          All entrants with a U.S. mailing address who pay an extra $3 to cover shipping costs
          will be mailed a copy of any Omnidawn book of their choice,
          or a copy of the winning book when it is published in the fall of 2012.

          For details of all Omnidawn Contests
          paste this URL into your browser
          http://www.omnidawn.com/contest/index.htm
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 28, 2011
            New Contest Coming in August:

            Omnidawn's OPEN BOOK Poetry Contest.

            Open to all writers: no page count limitations or limitations on the amount of
            poetry a writer has published.

            Carl Phillips will judge.

            Winner receives $3,000 and publication.

            Accepting electronic and postal submissions August 1-October 31, 2011.

            Winner receives prize, publication, and 100 copies. Entry fee: $25.00.
            Entrants who send $3 shipping cost receive Omnidawn book of their choice.

            for full details go to :
            www.omnidawn.com/contest

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2011
              New Contest Begins Today

              Open to all writers: no limitations on the amount of poetry a writer
              has published.

              Omnidawn's

              OPEN BOOK Poetry Contest

              Winner receives $3,000, publication,
              and 100 copies.

              Accepting electronic & postal submissions
              August 1 - October 31, 2011.

              Carl Phillips will judge.

              Entry fee: $25.00

              All entrants with a U.S. mailing address who pay an extra $3 to cover shipping costs will be mailed a copy of any Omnidawn book of their choice,
              or a copy of the winning book when it is published.
              A complete list of all current Omnidawn titles is available at
              www.omnidawn.com/catalog.htm.

              For full details about
              all three of Omnidawn's Poetry Contests (current & future)
              visit
              www.omnidawn.com/contest
              (enter this web address in your browser).

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2011
                Omnidawn's

                OPEN BOOK Poetry Contest

                Winner receives $3,000, publication,
                and 100 copies.

                Accepting electronic & postal submissions
                August 1 - November 15, 2011.

                Carl Phillips will judge.

                Carl Phillips

                Entry fee: $25.00

                All entrants with a U.S. mailing address who pay an extra $3 to cover shipping costs will be mailed a copy of any Omnidawn book of their choice,
                or a copy of the winning book when it is published.
                A complete list of all current Omnidawn titles is available at www.omnidawn.com/catalog.htm

                For full details about
                all three of Omnidawn's Poetry Contests (current & future)
                click here:
                www.omnidawn.com/contest
                or enter this web address in your browser.

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
                  The 2012 Omnidawn POETRY Open Book Contest
                  will close Tuesday January 15th, 2013.
                  Guidelines at
                  http://www.omnidawn.com/contest/poetry-contests.htm

                  Accepting both electronic and postal poetry submissions.
                  Open to any poet writing in English
                  (regardless of how many or how few publication credits).

                  Prize includes $3,000, Spring 2014 publication &
                  100 complimentary copies of book.
                  Cole Swensen will judge.

                  The entry fee is $25.

                  All entrants with a U.S. mailing address who pay an extra $3 to cover
                  shipping costs will be mailed a copy of any Omnidawn book of their
                  choice, or a copy of the winning book when it is published in the Spring
                  of 2014. A complete list of all current Omnidawn titles is available

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2013
                    Omnidawn's
                    1st/2nd Book Poetry Prize

                    www.omnidawn.com/contest

                    Open to any poet writing in English
                    who has not published a second book of poems.
                    (Chapbooks are not counted as books).

                    Winner receives $3,000, publication,
                    and 100 copies.

                    Accepting electronic & postal submissions
                    May 1 - July 15, 2013.

                    Donald Revell will judge.

                    Donald Revell is the author of twelve collections of poetry, most recently Tantivy (2012) andThe Bitter Withy (2009), both from Alice James Books. He has published five volumes of translations from the French, including Apollinaire's Alcools (Wesleyan), Rimbaud'sIlluminations and A Season in Hell (both from Omnidawn) and Laforgue's Last Verses(Omnidawn). His critical writings include The Art of Attention (Graywolf) and Invisible Green: Selected Prose (Omnidawn). Winner of the PEN USA Translation Award and two-time winner of the PEN USA Award for Poetry, he has also won the Academy of American Poets' Lenore Marshall Prize and is a former Fellow of the Ingram Merrill and Guggenheim Foundations. Additionally, he has twice been awarded Fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts. Former editor-in-chief of Denver Quarterly, he now serves as poetry editor of Colorado Review. Revell is a Professor of English & Creative Writing at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Revell lives in the desert south of Las Vegas with his wife, poet Claudia Keelan, and their children Benjamin Brecht and Lucie Ming.

                    Entry fee: $27.00

                    A complete list of all current Omnidawn book titles is available athttp://www.omnidawn.com/p_catalog.