call for poems: protestpoems.org

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
      Call for poems: protestpoems.org

      Writing for human rights

      http://web.mac.com/renkat/Site/Protest_Poems.html%c2%a0

      protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

      The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

      The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

      Submission guidelines

      It’s simple.

      We’re not looking for partisan propganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

      We want you to champion, not yourselves, but human rights; the rights of those who don’t have the freedom to write and speak as we do. Rage. Celebrate. Mourn. Demand. Scream. Dance.

      Formal complaints are especially exciting. There’s something wonderfully subversive a
      bout a villanelle that attacks a government deliberately making the same mistake over and over again.

      If you need to be inspired, read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Then check out any objective newsfeed or news site.

      Paste your poems (a maximum of 3 one-page poems), into the body of an email and send to <write(at)protestpoems.org> (replace (at) with @). If necessary, you can email a single .doc or .rtf file containing all the poems you are submitting.

      Include a brief bio.

      We will accept poems previously published on paper, as long as you hold the copyright. We will not accept poems which are already (or have previously been) published online (including blogs). We will publish a poet only once a year.

      If your poem deals with a specific call for action, or commemorates a specific person, please let us know.

      Remaining publication dates for the first half of 2009 are :

      11 Apr
      25 Apr
      09 May
      23 May
      06 Jun
      20 Jun

        Message 3 of 8 , May 23, 2009
          protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

          The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

          The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

          Planned remaining publication dates for the first half of 2009 are :

          06 Jun

          20 Jun

          Submission guidelines

          It’s simple.

          We’re not looking for partisan propaganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

[...]

          We look forward to reading your poems.

          In hope for a better world,

          Richard Pierce-Saunderson, Editor

          Cati Porter, Assoc. Editor

          Ren Powell, Assoc. Editor (protest info)

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 23, 2009
            protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

            The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

            The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

            The publishing schedule for the remainder of the year is:

            08 August
            22 August
            05 September
            19 September
            03 October
            17 October
            31 October
            14 November
            28 November
            12 December

            Submission guidelines

            It’s simple.

            We’re not looking for partisan propaganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

            We want you to champion, not yourselves, but human rights; the rights of those who don’t have the freedom to write and speak as we do. Rage. Celebrate. Mourn. Demand. Scream. Dance.

            =0
            AFormal complaints are especially exciting. There’s something wonderfully subversive about a villanelle that attacks a government deliberately making the same mistake over and over again.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2010
                protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully
                committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

                The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to
                promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly.
                We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of
                relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very
                selective. We are looking for edge.

                The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted
                writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut
                and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest
                information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to
                write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

                Planned remaining publication dates for the remainder of 2010 are :

                06 Nov
                20 Nov
                04 Dec
                18 Dec

                The first 2011 edition will be on 08 Jan 2011

[...]

                email and send to <write(at)protestpoems.org> (replace (at) with @ when
                sending e-mail). If necessary, you can email a single .doc or .rtf file