call for submissions: protestpoems.org

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2 7:59 AM
      protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

      The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

      The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

      Planned remaining publication dates for the first half of 2009 are :

      14 Mar

      28 Mar

      11 Apr

      25 Apr

      09 May

      23 May

      06 Jun

      20 Jun

      Submission guidelines

      It’s simple.

      We’re not looking for partisan propaganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

      We want you to champion, not yourselves, but human rights; the rights of those who don’t have the freedom to write and speak as we do. Rage. Celebrate. Mourn. Demand. Scream. Dance.

      Formal complaints
      are especially exciting. There’s something wonderfully subversive about a villanelle that attacks a government deliberately making the same mistake over and over again.

      If you need to be inspired, read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Then check out any objective newsfeed or news site.

      Paste your poems (a maximum of 3 one-page poems), into the body of an email and send to <write(at)protestpoems.org> (replace (at) with @). If necessary, you can email a single .doc or .rtf file containing all the poems you are submitting.

      Include a brief bio.

      We will accept poems previously published on paper, as long as you hold the copyright. We will not accept poems which are already (or have previously been) published online (including blogs). We will publish a poet only once a year.

      If your poem deals with a specific call for action, or commemorates a specific person, please let us know.

      We look forward to reading your poems.

      In hope for a better world,

      Richard Pierce-Saunderson, Editor

      Cati Porter, Assoc. Editor
      Ren Powell, Assoc. Editor (protest info)

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2010
        protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

        The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

        The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

        Planned remaining publication dates for the remainder of 2010 are :

        25 Sep
        09 Oct
        23 Oct
        06 Nov
        20 Nov
        04 Dec
        18 Dec

        The first 2011 edition will be on 08 Jan 2011

        Submission guidelines

        It’s simple.

        We’re not looking for partisan propaganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

        We want you to champion, not yourselves, but human rights; the rights of those who don’t have the freedom to write and speak as we do. Rage. Celebrate. Mourn. Demand. Scream. Dance.

        Formal complaints are especially exciting. There’s something wonderfully subversive about a villanelle that attacks a government deliberately making the same mistake over and over again.

        If you need to be inspired, read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Then check out any objective newsfeed or news site.

        Paste your poems (a maximum of 3 one-page poems), into the body of an email and send to <write(at)protestpoems.org>. If necessary, you can email a single .doc or .rtf file containing all the poems you are submitting.