call for submissions: Los Angeles Review

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      The Los Angeles Review, established in 2003, is the voice of Los
      Angeles, and the voice of the nation. With its multitude of cultures,
      Los Angeles roils at the center of the cauldron of divergent
      literature emerging from the West Coast. Perhaps from this place
      something can emerge that speaks to the writer or singer or dancer or
      wild person in all of us, something disturbing, something alive,
      something of the possibility of what it could be to be human in the
      21st century.

      We dedicate the sixth issue of The Los Angeles Review to Wanda
      Coleman. We invite both published and emerging writers to submit their work to the editors listed below,
      and we thank you for being part of The Los Angeles Review. Issue No. 6
      is scheduled to be released in 2009.

      Submissions of poetry and prose accepted from March 1 to June 1 via email only. Please include a
      cover letter and bio in the body of the email and attach your piece as
      a single .doc or .rtf attachment. Simultaneous submissions are
      accepted if noted in the cover letter. No multiple submissions, please. Response time is 2-3 months. Writers published in the 2009 Los Angeles Review will receive one contributor copy in exchange for first North American serial rights.

      Guidelines:

      Fiction and nonfiction: We seek essay, memoir, and commentary
      told as compelling, focused, sustained narrative in a distinctive
      voice, rich with detail. Send 1,000-4,000 words=2
      0or delight us with
      flash nonfiction that cat-burgles our expectations. In fiction we’re
      looking for to hard-to-put-down shorties under 500 words and lengthier
      shorts up to 4000 words--lively, vivid, excellent literary fiction.

      Poetry: Please submit 3-5 poems that will surprise us, wow us, and make us wish we’d written them ourselves. We’re open to form, free verse, prose poems, and experimental styles. Our only criterion is quality.

      Reviews: We welcome reviews of new and recent books of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction. We are particularly interested in books that have not received the critical attention they deserve.
      Send reviews of three to six pages. There is no need to query the editor beforehand.

      Translations: Please submit 3-5 translated poems that open the poet’s original vision to an English-speaking audience.

      Editor: <lareview.editor(at)gmail.com>

      Fiction: <lareview.fiction(at)gmail.com>

      Poetry: <lareview.poetry(at)gmail.com>

      Nonfiction: <lareview.nonfiction(at)gmail.com>

      Translations: <lareview.translations(at)gmail.com>

      Reviews: <lareview.bookreviews(at)gmail.com>

      Replace (at) with @ in all e-mail addresses.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2009
        Call for submissions: Los Angeles Review

        http://www.redhen.org/losangelesreview/

        Submissions of poetry and prose now being accepted through December 1 via email only. Please include a cover letter and bio in the body of the email and attach your piece as a single .doc or .rtf attachment. Simultaneous submissions are accepted if noted in the cover letter. No multiple submissions, please. Response time is 2-3 months. Writers published in the Spring 2010 Los Angeles Review will receive one contributor copy in exchange for first North American serial rights.

        Guidelines:

        Fiction and nonfiction: We seek essay, memoir, and commentary told as compelling, focused, sustained narrative in a distinctive voice, rich with detail. Send 1,000-4,000 words or delight us with flash nonfiction that cat-burgles our expectations. In fiction we’re looking for hard-to-put-down shorties under 500 words and lengthier shorts up to 4000 words--lively, vivid, excellent literary fiction.

        Poetry: Please submit 3-5 poems that will surprise us, wow us, and make us wish we’d written them ourselves. We’re open to form, free verse, prose poems, and experimental styles. Our only criterion is quality.

        Reviews: We welcome reviews of new and recent books of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction. We are particularly interested in books that have not received the critical attention they deserve. Send reviews of three to six pages. There is no need to query the editor beforehand.

        Translations: Please submit 3-5 tra
        nslated poems that open the poet’s original vision to an English-speaking audience.

        Send all submissions to appropriate department email (replace (at) with @) in all e-mail addresses)

        Editor: <lareview.editor(at)gmail.com>

        Fiction Editor: <lareview.fiction(at)gmail.com>

        Poetry Editor: <lareview.poetry(at)gmail.com>

        Nonfiction Editor: <lareview.nonfiction(at)gmail.com>

        Translation Editor: <lareview.translations(at)gmail.com>

        Review Editor: <lareview.bookreviews(at)gmail.com>

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010
          Submission Guidelines: The Los Angeles Review
          http://redhen.org/losangelesreview/submissions/

          Readings for Issue 8 are now open. Readings for poetry will close May 25, 2010. Readings in all other genres will close June 1, 2010. (Please note that readings close at the end of the business day on the date listed above.) Submissions received outside our reading periods will be discarded without notice.
          Indicate title in the subject heading. For prose submissions, also indicate word count. Please include a cover letter and bio in the body of the email, and attach your piece as a single .doc or .rtf attachment, not as a .docx.
          Simultaneous submissions are accepted if noted in the cover letter. No multiple submissions, please. Response time is 2-3 months.
          Writers published in The Los Angeles Review will receive one contributor copy in exchange for first North American serial rights.
          Guidelines:
          Nonfiction: We seek essay, memoir, and commentary told as compelling, focused, sustained narrative in a distinctive voice, rich with detail. Send 1,000-4,000 words or delight us with flash nonfiction that cat-burgles our expectations.
          Fiction: We’re looking for to hard-to-put-down shorties under 500 words and lengthier shorts up to 4,000 words–lively, vivid, excellent literary fiction.
          Poetry: Please submit 3-5 poems that will surprise us, wow us, and make us wish we’d written them ourselves. We are open to form, free verse, prose poems, and experimental styles. Our only criterion is quality.
          Reviews: We welcome reviews of new and recent books of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction, particularly of books that have not received the critical attention they deserve. Send reviews of three to six pages. Please familiarize yourself with the kind of creative work we publish, as we are unlikely to print reviews of material that is vastly different from that which we feature in the magazine.
          Translations: Please submit 3-5 translated poems that open the poet’s original vision to an English-speaking audience.
          Send all submissions or queries to appropriate department email:
          (replace (at) with @ when sending e-mail)
          Managing Editor: <lareview.editor(at)gmail.com>
          Poetry Editor: <lareview.poetry(at)gmail.com>
          Translation Editor: <lareview.translations(at)gmail.com>
          Prose Editor: <lareview.prose(at)gmail.com>