fiction and poetry contest: New Ohio Review

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      NOR Prize in Fiction and Poetry

      http://www.ohiou.edu/nor/submis.htm

      New Ohio Review is asking for new work to be considered for the NOR Prize in Fiction and Poetry to be judged by Peter Ho Davies and Philip Levine. In May 2009 we will announce the two winners on our website, one in each of the two genres. They will each receive $2,000, and their work will be published in NOR6, our Fall 2009 issue.

      The entry fee of $20 (check or money order payable to New Ohio Review) includes a one-year subscription to New Ohio Review. Please be sure to submit two title pages: your name, address, phone number and email address must only appear on one title page and nowhere else in the manuscript; the second should bear only the title of the work submitted. The postmark deadline is March 10, 2009. Enclose a self-addressed and stamped postcard if you would like confirmation of receipt.

      Fiction: submit one story of between 1,000 and 6,000 words (double-spaced)
      Poetry: submit up to three poems, not more than ten pages (single-spaced).

      General Guidelines

      We accept literary submissions in any genre. Translations are welcome if permission has been granted. Please do not send more than six poems in a single submission. We do not reprint previously published work.

      Our reading period is September-May, but we will consider work year-round from subscribers. Please do not submit more than once every six months. Mail submissions to:

      New Ohio Review
      English Dept.
      360 Ellis Hall
      Ohio University
      Athens, OH 45701

      We currently do not accept electronic submissions.

      Format: Please include a brief cover letter with your submission. Poems should be individually typed, either single- or double-spaced, on one side of the page. Prose should be typed double-spaced on one side and be no longer than thirty pages. Cross-genre work or any work that is unusually formatted is welcome, but please be aware that our page width and font size are restricted. We have no preferences regarding placement of author name, staples, or paper clips. Please do not include submissions in more than one genre in the same envelope.

      Simultaneous submissions: Simultaneous submissions to other journals are fine as long as you indicate so in your cover letter and inform us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.

      Submissions by mail: All manuscripts and correspondence regarding submissions should be accompanied by a S.A.S.E. For international submissions, please include a stamped International Reply Coupon (I.R.C.) with your S.A.S.E. or provide a valid e-mail address. Manuscripts can only be returned if sufficient postage is included.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2010
        The 2010 New Ohio Review Prize
        in Fiction and Poetry
        http://www.ohio.edu/nor/submis.htm
        Contest Guidelines
        Judges: Ann Beattie in fiction, Stephen Dunn in poetry
        Postmark Deadline: May 15, 2010
        Prize: First and second place prizes of $1,500 and $500 in each genre.
        Entry Fee: $20 per entry (includes one-year subscription)
        All entries will be judged blind, therefore please submit a cover page with your name and contact information. Your name should not appear on the manuscript. Prose entries must be no longer than 25 pages double-spaced. Poetry entries are limited to four individual poems. Contest results will be announced online. If you wish to receive the results through the mail, please enclose an SASE.
        Please mail entries and payment to:
        New Ohio Review Prize
        English Dept.
        360 Ellis Hall
        Ohio University
        Athens, OH 45701
        General Guidelines
        New Ohio Review's contributors receive honoraria of $10/page for prose and $15/page for poetry, $30 minimum, in addition to two copies of the issue and a one-year subscription.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2010
[...]

          Checks should be made payable to New Ohio Review.