fiction book contest: Starcherone Books

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2009
      The 2009-10 contest, offering $1000 and publication with Starcherone Books, is now accepting entries. Contest is open to story collections, novels, or indeterminate prose works up to 400 pages. Manuscripts will be blind-judged; the author's name should appear on the first of two title pages and nowhere else in the manuscript. There is an administrative fee of $30. Please do not send cash.

      The postmark deadline is February 15, 2009. The winner will be announced in August 2009. All finalists will be considered for publication with Starcherone Books. See our ad in the January 2009 issue of Poets & Writers Magazine.

      We are very happy to have as judge for our prize for innovative fiction one of the most daringly innovative and powerful authors of our time, Ben Marcus. Marcus is the author of three books to date -- The Age of Wire and String,Notable American Women, and, with Matthew Ritchie, The Father Costume. He also edited The Anchor Book of New American Short Stories. He is Chair of the MFA in Creative Writing program at Columbia University.

      As Final Judge, Marcus will make his selection out of a group of 5-10 finalists selected by our staff readers, and may request additional manuscripts from which to choose a winner.

      As always, one manuscript will be selected as winner of our prize. Starcherone does not believe in holding competitions that do not select a winning book.

      Snail Mail Directions
      There will be a reading fee of $30. Please do not send cash. The contest is blin
      d-judged, so the author's name and contact information should appear on title page and nowhere else in manuscript. (Please also remove mentions of previous excerpt publications from manuscripts; do not include acknowledgment pages.) A second title page with only the manuscript title should also be included. Please mail to:
      STARCHERONE FICTION PRIZE, Starcherone Books, P.O. Box 303, Buffalo, NY 14201-0303

      Visit

      http://www.starcherone.com/prize.htm

      for electronic submission directions