fiction and poetry contest: New South

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2009
      New South Fiction and Poetry Contest

      http://www.review.gsu.edu/contest_ns.html

      We are pleased to announce John Weir (Fiction) and Chelsea Rathburn (Poetry) will judge the 2009 New South

      Fiction & Poetry Contest

      First-place winners will receive $1000.  Second-place winners will receive $250.  All winners will have their work published in our Summer 2009 issue.The final round of judging will be anonymous. For more details, including information on our judges, please read below.

      About the Judges:

      Chelsea Rathburn's first full-length collection of poetry, The Shifting Line, won the 2005 Richard Wilbur Award. Her poetry has appeared in The Atlantic Monthly, The Hudson Review, Pleiades, and other journals. Look for new work in upcoming issues of Poetry and Barrow Street. Chelsea has been selected for a 2009 poetry fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts.

      John Weir is the author of two novels, The Irreversible Decline of Eddie Socket (HarperCollins, 1989), winner of a Lambda Literary Award, and What I Did Wrong (Viking, 2006). His non-fiction pieces – magazine articles, book reviews, personal essays – have appeared in Details, Rolling Stone, Spin, New York, The Advocate, The Village Voice, and The New York Times, as well as in numerous anthologies. He is the Associate Chair of English at Queens College/CUNY, in Flushing, New York.

      The 2009 New South Writing Contest Guidelines

      Poetry Prize

      irst Place: $1000

      Second Place: $250

      Fiction Prize

      First Place: $1000

      Second Place: $250

      Deadline: All entries must be postmarked by March 4, 2009

      Reading Fee: $15.00 per entry

      Each entry must include the following:

      • A check or money order (NO CASH) made payable to GSU (or Georgia State University) for fifteen dollars ($15). Entry fee includes a copy of the Spring / Summer 2009 issue, which will contain the winning entries.

      • A cover letter with a 3- to 4-line bio, title(s) of the work submitted, and your name, mailing address, phone number, and email address.

      POETRY

      • Address poetry submissions to Austin Segrest, Poetry Editor.

      • Poems must be typed.

      • Submit up to three (3) poems per $15 Reading Fee.

      • All poems must have name, address, phone, and e-mail appearing on each page.

      FICTION

      • Address fiction submissions to Peter Fontaine, Fiction Editor.

      • Manuscripts must be typed.

      • Include name, address, phone, email, & word count on the first page of the manuscript only.

      • Submissions should not exceed 7500 words.

      • Short-short stories are welcome.

      • Submit one (1) short story per $15 Reading Fee.

      While we take the greatest care in handling your entries, we assume no responsibility for lost or damaged manuscripts. Only unpublished work considered. Simultan
      eous submissions considered with notification. All rights revert to author after publication. Current students, staff, and faculty at Georgia State University are not eligible.

      New South publishes quality literary art promoting the work of emerging and established writers. New South  holds no subject biases. The staff will select the best work regardless of style or genre.

      Send all work to the appropriate editor:

      New South/Writing Contest

      Campus Box 1894

      Georgia State University

      MSC 8R0322 Unit 8

      Atlanta, Georgia 30303-3083

      For questions ONLY (no submissions, please):

      <new_south(at)langate.gsu.edu> (replace (at) with @)