writing contest: Obama Millennium Award

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2009
      Announcing the Obama Millennium Award...
      www.NewMillenniumWritings.com

      Because of the spontaneous outpouring of good will and good writing that flowed into our Inboxes in response to the election and inauguration of Barack Hussein Obama as president, we're now accepting online submissions for poetry and prose to mark this moment in our young millennium.

      Wax lyrical, critical, inspirational, analytical, cynical, spritual or in any other way you please to shine a light on the significance of this moment in history. We're looking for the link between the personal and the public. What does Obama's election mean to you and to our world?

      One winner and three runners-up or more will be published in the next issue of NMW, due out in November, and at www.NewMillenniumW ritings.com. The deadline for this contest is midnight Sunday, March 1, 2009 and will not be extended. $1,000 will go to the best single piece of writing--whether poetry, essay or fiction on the subject... you guessed it... Obama. Writers from all three categories will compete for the top prize (as they did for our special award on the significance of the new millennium in 1999). At least three $100 prizes also will be awarded to runners-up. Winners will be announced in May. All contestants will receive a copy of our 2009 Special Issue containing the winners, due out in November.

      To Enter, Follow these Guidelines, or enter online by clicking here http://www.newmillenniumwritings.com/obama.php%c2%a0or by visiting

      ww
      w.NewMillenniumWritings.com

      and following the links.

      1. No restrictions as to style, content or number of submissions.

      2. Previously published pieces OK if online only or if fewer than 5000 were printed.

      3. Send any time between now and midnight, March 1, 2009 (postmark OK, or enter here).

      4. Simultaneous & multiple submissions welcome.

      5. Each piece of Fiction, Poetry or Nonfiction is a separate entry and should total no more than 2,500 words--anything under that is acceptable. (Nonfiction includes essays, profiles, memoirs, interviews, creative nonfiction, travel, humor, etc.). Each Poetry entry may include one poem only, not to exceed five pages total, in this special contest.

      6. Include name, address, phone, email, and category entered on the cover page only of each entry.

      7. A $17 reading fee is required for each entry.

      8. Manuscripts not returned. Include email address or SASE for list of winners.

      9. Include $17 check payable to NMW with each submission. http://www.newmillenniumwritings.com/obama.php"%c2%a0

      10. Enter online by clicking here or send by U.S. Mail or other carrier to: "NMW" Room EM, PO Box 2463, Knoxville, TN, 37901.

      To order a sample issue, add $12.