call for poems: protestpoems.org

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
      protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

      The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

      The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

      Publication dates for the first half of 2009 are :

      14 Feb

      28 Feb

      14 Mar

      28 Mar

      11 Apr

      25 Apr

      09 May

      23 May

      06 Jun

      20 Jun

      Submission guidelines

      It’s simple.

      We’re not looking for partisan propaganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

      We want you to champion, not yourselves, but human rights; the rights of those who don’t have the freedom to write and speak as we do. Rage. Celebrate. Mourn. Demand. Scream. Dance.

      Formal complaints are
      especially exciting. There’s something wonderfully subversive about a villanelle that attacks a government deliberately making the same mistake over and over again.

      If you need to be inspired, read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Then check out any objective newsfeed or news site.

      Paste your poems (a maximum of 3 one-page poems), into the body of an email and send to <write(at)protestpoems.org> Replace (at) with @). If necessary, you can email a single .doc or .rtf file containing all the poems you are submitting.

      Include a brief bio.

      We will accept poems previously published on paper, as long as you hold the copyright. We will not accept poems which are already (or have previously been) published online (including blogs). We will publish a poet only once a year.

      If your poem deals with a specific call for action, or commemorates a specific person, please let us know.

      We look forward to reading your poems.

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2009
[...]

        Planned remaining publication dates for the first half of 2009 are :

[...]

        Paste your poems (a maximum of 3 one-page poems), into the body of an email and send to write(at)protestpoems.org. If necessary, you can email a single .doc or .rtf file containing all the poems you are submitting.

        Include a brief bio.

        We will accept poems previously published on paper, as long as you hold the copyright. We will not accept poems which are already (or have previously been) published online (including blogs). We will publish a poet only once a year.

        If your poem deals with a specific call for action, or commemorates a specific person, please let us know.

        We look forward to reading your poems.

        In hope for a better world,

        Richard Pierce-Saunderson, Editor

        Cati Porter, Assoc. Editor
        Ren Powell, Assoc. Editor (protest info)

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
          Call for poems: protestpoems.org

          Writing for human rights

          http://web.mac.com/renkat/Site/Protest_Poems.html%c2%a0

          protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

          The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

          The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

          Submission guidelines

          It’s simple.

          We’re not looking for partisan propganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 23, 2009
                protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

                The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly. We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very selective. We are looking for edge.

                The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

                The publishing schedule for the remainder of the year is:

                08 August
                22 August
                05 September
                19 September
                03 October
                17 October
                31 October
                14 November
                28 November
                12 December

                Submission guidelines

                It’s simple.

                We’re not looking for partisan propaganda. We’re not looking for party-political mouthings. We’re not looking for sentimental depictions of what you see on the TV. We’re not looking for rhyming greetings card verses.

                We want you to champion, not yourselves, but human rights; the rights of those who don’t have the freedom to write and speak as we do. Rage. Celebrate. Mourn. Demand. Scream. Dance.

                =0
                AFormal complaints are especially exciting. There’s something wonderfully subversive about a villanelle that attacks a government deliberately making the same mistake over and over again.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 1 1:19 PM
                    protestpoems.org is a poetry journal entirely devoted to, and fully
                    committed to, new poetry that tackles human rights issues worldwide.

                    The journal strives to present the best poems of protest written to
                    promote freedom of speech and human rights. It is updated fortnightly.
                    We publish a maximum six poems a month to keep a steady flow of
                    relevant protests. Although we update the journal often, we are very
                    selective. We are looking for edge.

                    The website and mailing lists provide information about persecuted
                    writers, along with letters of protest ready for our subscribers to cut
                    and paste. To receive emails (once a month, on average) with protest
                    information focused on a specific persecuted writer, send an email to
                    write(at)protestpoems.org. Please write SUBSCRIBE in your subject line.

                    Planned remaining publication dates for the remainder of 2010 are :

                    06 Nov
                    20 Nov
                    04 Dec
                    18 Dec

                    The first 2011 edition will be on 08 Jan 2011

[...]

                    email and send to <write(at)protestpoems.org> (replace (at) with @ when
                    sending e-mail). If necessary, you can email a single .doc or .rtf file