call for submissions: The Other Journal

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2009
      The Other Journal seeks submissions of poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction for our upcoming issue on Beauty and Aesthetics.

      Deadline: March 15, 2009

      All submissions should be sent via email to <submissions(at)theotherjournal.com>

      (replace (at) with @)

      with "TOJ Submission" written in the subject line. Please indicate the genre of your submission in the subject line of your email and submit your work as Microsoft Word or rich text format documents. Submissions that are pasted directly into the text of an email rather than an attached document may not be considered.

      We accept poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction. Send up to six poems or one piece of prose at a time. Fiction submissions may include short stories or self-contained novel excerpts, and creative nonfiction submissions may include personal essays or memoirs. Because we are an online journal, we take a special interest in short prose submissions, especially pieces that are less than 2,500 words. We will consider simultaneous submissions, but please indicate they have been simultaneously submitted elsewhere and let us know right away if you are withdrawing them from consideration.

      For more info:

      http://theotherjournal.com/info.php?page=submissions

      Editorial statement:

      The Other Journal welcomes the submission of critical essays, reviews, creative writing, and visual or performance art that encounter life through the lens of theology and culture; we seek pieces that consider the interaction of faith with contemporary life, art, politics,
      sexuality, technology, economics, and social justice. We are particularly interested in works which present creative, alternative views that may otherwise fall outside the margins of mainstream narratives. And although we primarily focus on perspectives within the Christian tradition, we invite dialogue with all who are interested in exploring the ongoing role of faith and spirituality in the world.

      The Other Journal
      Mars Hill Graduate School
      2501 Elliott Ave
      Seattle, WA 98121

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2009
        The Other Journal seeks submissions of poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction for our upcoming issue on Beauty and Aesthetics.
        http://www.theotherjournal.com/

        Deadline has been extended from March 15 to April 10, 2009

        We seek poems, short stories, and creative nonfiction that explore the beauty, especially its cultural and theological incarnations. As we navigate the many faces of beauty, we will explore the nature, function, and end of beauty. We expect this issue to address such questions as How is the body understood in Western culture? Why does beauty matter? And what does beauty have to do with issues of justice and reconciliation?