call for submissions: Naugatuck River Review

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2009
      Submissions Open January 1 - March 1, 2009. The open submission
      period for the Summer issue is January 1st through March 1st. The
      submission period for the Winter issue is July 1st through September
      1st.

      This is a literary journal founded in order to publish and in doing
      so to honor good narrative poetry. Naugatuck River Review is
      dedicated to publishing narrative poetry in the tradition of great
      narrative poets such as Gerald Stern, Philip Levine or James Wright.
      We are open to many styles of poetry, looking for narrative that
      sings, which means the poem has a strong emotional core and the
      narrative is compressed. So, make us laugh and cry, make chills run
      down our spines. Knock us off our feet! We will publish twice a
      year, beginning with Winter 2009. We cannot pay our contributors, but
      will send one issue of the journal.

      Please send previously unpublished work. We do occasionally accept
      previously published poetry, but prefer unpublished. Publication
      rights will revert to the author of the poem. We accept simultaneous
      submissions, but please inform us if your work is accepted elsewhere.
      We will have two reading periods, Summer and Winter. Send
      submissions of NO MORE THAN THREE POEMS in the body of an email to
      <naugatuckriver(at)aol.com> (replace at with @). Make sure you
      include a short cover letter with your contact information and a 20-
      30 word bio. We will publish twice a year, Winter and Summer.

      For complete information go to the website at
      www.naugatuckriverreview.com.
      Lori Desrosiers
      Managing Editor/Publisher

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2013
        http://naugatuckriverreviewsubmissions.com/

        Only two weeks left to submit your narrative poetry during Naugatuck River Review's open submissions period. Deadline is March 1st.
        Please go to http://naugatuckriverreview.com/submissions for guidelines and to connect to our online Submission Manager.

        We accept ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS ONLY through our online submission manager. Emailed submissions and mailed submissions will not be considered.

        During the submission period ONLY please submit no more than 3 unpublished NARRATIVE poems of no more than 50 lines each through the online submission manager. Please remove your name from your file, as the poetry is read blind by our editorial staff.

        Questions ONLY: Feel free to email us at naugatuckriverATaolDOTcom

        Accepted contributors will be rewarded with a copy of the journal. We are not in a position to pay you otherwise, but hope the journal is worth much more than the cost of its paper.
        Multiple submissions are discouraged, but simultaneous submissions are fine, as long as you inform us right away if your poem is accepted elsewhere. We claim first North American publication rights, so rights revert to the author after the initial publication period, just please give us credit. We prefer work that has not been previously published.

        WHAT IS NARRATIVE POETRY?
        We get this question quite often. What NRR is looking for are poems that tell a story, or have a strong sense of story. They can be stories of a moment or an experience, and can be personal or historical. A good narrative poem that would work for our journal has a compressed narrative, and we prefer poems that take up two pages or less of the journal (50 lines max). We are looking above all for poems that are well-crafted, have an excellent lyric quality and contain a strong emotional core. Any style of poem is considered, including prose poems. Poems with very long lines don’t fit well in the format. Hope this helps

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2014
          Naugatuck River Review, a print journal of narrative poetry, welcomes
          submissions for
          the Summer 2014 issue beginning January 1st and ending March 1st at
          midnight.

          Submission guidelines:

          This is an open (no fee) submission period and runs from January 1st
          through March 1st at midnight.
          We accept electronic submissions only through our ONLINE SUBMISSION
          MANAGER.
          Please go to our website at

          http://naugatuckriverreview.com/submissions

          to read the guidelines
          and to connect to the Submission Manager program.

          Accepted contributors will be rewarded with a copy of the journal. We
          are not in a
          position to pay you otherwise, but hope the journal is worth much more
          than the
          cost of its paper.

          During the submission period ONLY please submit no more than 3
          unpublished
          NARRATIVE poems of no more than 50 lines through the online submission
          manager.
          Put them all in one MSWord (docx or rtf) file.
          Please remove your name from your file, as the poetry is read blind by
          our
          editorial staff.

          Questions (ONLY): Feel free to email us at naugatuckriverATaolDOTcom.

          Multiple submissions are discouraged, but simultaneous submissions are
          fine, as
          long as you inform us right away if your poem is accepted elsewhere.
          Please send
          work that has not been previously published.