creative writing job: University of AK Southeast

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2009
      The University of Alaska Southeast is a public liberal arts university, nestled between the Inside Passage and the Mendenhall Glacier. At our heart, we are a supportive learning community that educates our students to be productive and thoughtful citizens. Our idyllic setting in the Tongass National Forest provides the perfect environment for creative learning.

      The University of Alaska Southeast seeks applications for a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor in English in the area of Creative Writing/Distance Composition starting fall semester 2009. The successful candidate must have a 1) Master in Fine Arts in Creative Writing from an accredited university or a related field (emphasis on poetry preferred); 2) a minimum of three years experience teaching college or university creative writing courses from introductory to advanced levels (preference will be given to those with more experience); 3) a minimum of three years experience teaching English Composition courses (preference will be given to those with more experience); 4) a substantial and ongoing creative writing publishing record (experience working with a literary journal is an asset). Preference will be given to applicants with experience teaching online distance courses and to applicants who have experience working with a diverse student population. This position is open until filled. The successful candidate will coordinate the Humanities Visiting Writers' Series, oversee the publication of the UAS Tidal Echoes publication and to teach lower-division GER courses via distance delive
      ry.

      The salary range is commensurate with experience and includes a benefits package. This is a nine-month, tenure-track position covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement.

      Master in Fine Arts in Creative Writing from an accredited university or a related field (emphasis on poetry preferred).

      Preferred: Candidates interested in working in environmental or interdisciplinary areas.

      Support University of Alaska tripartite mission of performing teaching, research and public service. The successful applicant will be responsible for teaching one or more undergraduate courses in a manner consistent with the specific course content description. Faculty is expected to hold office hours appropriate for the course(s) being taught.
      Be proactive in developing and modifying curriculum for delivery and other teaching modalities. Provide University and Community service.

      All interested persons must apply electronically at www.uakjobs.com Reference Posting No.0056631 In addition to the completion of the online UAKjobs application, applicants must electronically attach the following materials:
      1) Cover letter specifically addressing the duties of the position
      2) Curriculum vitae
      3) Evidence of effective teaching (e.g., teaching evaluations, teaching awards, sample course syllabi, statement of teaching philosophy, video of teaching performance, screen shots from web courses, etc.)
      4) Evidence of publishing credits
      6) Undergraduate and graduate educational transcripts (unofficial copies accepted, official transcripts required upon hire)
      7)20Three letters of recommendation (hard copies of letters (only) may be mailed to the Human Resources Office)

      University of Alaska Southeast
      Human Resources Offices
      11120 Glacier Highway ADM4
      Juneau, AK 99801

      All other documents must be submitted online.

      Application Information

      Contact:

      Sue Oliva
      Personnel Services