call for critical/creative presentations on the blues: Delta Blues Symposium

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2008
      Delta Blues Symposium XV:
      Celebrating a Century of Delta Culture

      The Department of English and Philosophy at Arkansas State University (Jonesboro

      campus) announces its fifteenth annual Delta Blues Symposium, to be held 2-4
      April
      2009. The theme for Delta Blues Symposium XV is the celebration of Delta culture

      the past 100 years. The ways in which those in the public as well as in academia

      have highlighted cultural influences shaping the Lower Mississippi River Delta
      embrace a wide range of expressive forms. Underscoring such an multidisciplinary

      approach, the symposium committee encourages proposals from scholars and
      students of the humanities and social sciences-especially anthropology, art
      history,
      economics, folklore studies, geography, history, literature, musicology,
      political
      science, and sociology. As well, we seek contributions from scholars and
      students of
      the physical and natural sciences.

      In keeping with past symposia, we also welcome proposals for papers and panels
      that deal with any and all aspects of the seven-state Mississippi River Delta
      region
      or with the blues, perhaps the region's most famous export. We particularly
      invite
      presentations on artists who have appeared at previous symposia (fiction writers

      such as Lewis Nordan, Ellen Douglas, Scott Ely, Tom Piazza, and Beverly Lowry;
      poets like Natasha Trethewey, Yusef Komunyakaa, Jo McDougall, and Michael
      Harper; visual artists, including James Fraher, David Rae Morris, and Maude
      Schuyler
      Clay; and such musicians
      as Alvin Youngblood Hart, Kenny Neal, Little Milton,
      Billy
      Lee Riley, and James “Super Chikan” Johnson.

      Program proposals may be for individual presentations or for panels. These
      should
      be sent as 100-word abstracts. We also urge participation by creative writers
      and
      other artists. Please send samples of previous work for our consideration. The
      submission deadline is December 15, 2008. The registration fee of $25.00, which
      covers Symposium expenses and brings a one-year subscription to Arkansas
      Review, will be collected after proposals have been accepted. Note that this fee
      is
      waived for currently enrolled students.

      Proposals may be sent via post, e-mail, or fax to the following address:
      Delta Symposium Committee
      Department of English and Philosophy
      PO Box 1890
      Arkansas State University
      State University, AR 72467

      <delta(at)astate.edu> (replace (at) with @)

      Phone: 870-972-3043
      Fax: 870-972-3045
      Further information can be had by contacting the Delta Symposium Committee or by

      checking the Symposium website: www.clt.astate.edu/blues.