writing contests from Meridian

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2008
      Prose Poem Postcard Prize Contest. Entry fee: $3.50. Entries should be 1-2 prose poems, each of which must be able to fit onto a standard-size postcard (roughly 100 to 280 words ... a few more if you don't mind a small font). The winning prose poem will be printed on postcards and distributed by Meridian at the 2009 AWP Conference in Chicago. The winner will also receive $100, 100 postcards, and 100 stamps. All entries must be submitted electronically by midnight, December 10, 2008 on

      www.manuscripthub.com. Create a login if you don't have one and then look for our postcard contest under the Meridian section. ManuscriptHub links the submission to your contact information, so there is no need to put your name or address on the submission itself.

      The Editors' Prize Contest is now accepting entries, with $1,000 awarded in fiction and poetry. The entry fee is $16, which includes a reading of your work, a subscription to Meridian, and a chance at the $1,000 prize. All entries from the U.S. will receive a one-year, two-issue subscription to Meridian; entries from outside the U.S. will receive only the prize issue (Spring/Summer 2008) due to additional mailing costs. All entries (and entry fees) should be submitted electronically through

      www.manuscripthub.com.

      The deadline for this year's contest is midnight, January 7, 2009. Poets can upload four poems per entry. Fiction writers may submit one story of 10,000 words or fewer per entry. Please do NOT
      put your name on the work you submit so that it stays "blind" to our readers. ManuscriptHub links the submission to your contact information, so there is no need to put your name or address on the submission itself.

      ELIGIBILITY RULES FOR BOTH CONTESTS:

      ·         UVA alumni who graduated before June 2007 may enter the contests.

      ·         Current UVA students, staff, and faculty are NOT eligible.

      ·         Former Meridian staff are not eligible. (If you've been on our masthead, don't enter.)

      ·         Friends, relatives, and former teachers and students of current Meridian staff or its advisor are not eligible.

      ·         Current subscribers may enter the Editors' Prize Contest for the same $16 fee. Your subscription will be extended by one year (and you will remain, as always, one of our favorite people in the world, even if you get treated like everyone else for the purposes of the contest).