fiction position: MSU Mankato
- Institution: Minnesota State University Mankato
Location: Mankato, MN
POSITION: English/Creative Writing - Fiction, Assistant Professor (Probationary; Nine
DATE OF APPOINTMENT: August 24, 2009
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins January 23, 2009, and will continue
until position is filled.
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience.
This is a tenure-track position, for a creative writing fiction specialist to teach a variety of
courses, such as Introduction to Creative Writing,undergraduate and graduate workshops,
form and technique courses, contemporary genre courses, and topics courses. Teaching
load is 12 credits (3 courses) per semester. Also required: continued creative activity,
undergraduate and graduate advising, service on MFA thesis committees and department
- Terminal degree in Creative Writing (with creative thesis) by date of appointment.
- College-level teaching experience.
- Significant national publication in fiction.
- Ability to teach, advise, and support a wide variety of student writers.
- Ability to contribute to growth and stability of a lively and multi-faceted creative-writing
- Demonstrated commitment to professional service.
- A demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment.
- Experience in any of the following: screenwriting, writing for young adults, or literacy
editing and publishing.
The English Department at Minnesota State University, Mankato includes master's level
programs in Creative Writing (MFA), English Studies, Literature, Technical Communication,
and TESL, and undergraduate programs in the same fields (except TESL) and in English
education. There are also undergraduate minors in linguistics and film. The English
department is also responsible for the university's large composition program and offers
general education courses in literature, film, popular culture, and humanities. For further
information, visit the department website at: http://english.mnsu.edu
Additional information on Minnesota State University, Mankato can be found at:
*Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the
Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at:
NOTICE: In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle
Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business, whether using a
personal, rental, or state vehicle, shall be required to complete a Vehicle Use Agreement
form and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check annually.
Send letter of application, curriculum vitae, unofficial transcripts, completed Application
for Employment form (see: http://www.mnsu.edu/humanres/forms/unclassapp.pdf), a
statement on how you value and can contribute to the diverstiy of our campus, and the
names and telephone numbers of three professional references to address below. An
official or certified copy of transcript for the highest completed degree will be required
prior to any interview as a finalist for this position. Selected applicants will be asked to
submit complete dossiers and writing samples.
Postal Address: Dr. Nancy MacKenzie, Search Committee Chair
Department of English
Minnesota State University Mankato
230 Armstrong Hall
Mankato, MN 56001
Phone: (507) 389-2117
Fax: (507) 389-5362
TDD: (800) 627-3529 or 711
Online App. Form: http://www.mnsu.edu/humanres/forms/unclassapp.pdf
Email Address: nancy.mackenzie(at)mnsu.edu (replace (at) with @)
- Writing: Minnesota State University, Mankato is seeking applications for an Assistant
Professor, probationary/tenure-track position in Creative Writing - Fiction. Start: August 24,
2009. Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in creative writing. Required: Terminal
degree in Creative Writing by start date; college-level teaching experience; significant
national publication in fiction; ability to teach, advise and support a wide variety of student
writers; potential for contributing to growth and stability of a lively and multi-faceted
creative-writing program and demonstrated commitment to professional service. Application:
see description and application procedure at: http://www.mnsu.edu/humanres/vacancy/.
Review of applications begins January 23, 2009. The department Web site is
http://english.mnsu.edu AA/EOE and a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and
- Writing: Minnesota State University, Mankato is seeking applications for an Assistant Professor, probationary (tenure-track), in English/Creative Writing; Fiction. Start: August 16, 2009. Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in creative writing. Required: Terminal degree in Creative Writing by start date; college-level teaching experience; book-length publication in fiction; ability to teach, advise and support a wide variety of student writers; potential for contributing to growth and stability of a lively and multi-faceted creative-writing program and demonstrated commitment to professional service. Application: See description and application procedure at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/mankato/default.cfm. Review of applications begins January 15, 2010. The department website is http://english.mnsu.edu AA/EOE and a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and University System