Call For Proposals: Feminist Poetics and Activism Conference

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      Call For Proposals:
      Advancing Feminist Poetics and Activism: A Gathering
      CUNY Graduate Center, Fall 2009

      In celebration of its tenth year, Belladonna*/** will join with The CUNY
      Graduate Center's Women's Studies Certificate Program, Center for Research
      on Women and Society, Center for Humanities, Poetics Group, and English
      Department to present a conference aimed at advancing and broadcasting the
      life of Feminist Avant-Garde Poetics and Activism Today. The conference will take place at
      the
      CUNY Graduate Center on September 24 and 25, 2009.
      Our goals for this conference are the following:
      1) To support the study of the Feminist Avant-Garde
      2) To encourage collaboration between radical feminist artists/thinkers/activists.
      3) To provide a space to think about relevant activism in these times, in this
      place.
      We at Belladonna* are particularly interested in what's immediate, present and
      happening now. We would like this call to encourage conversations and
      new designs for work between genres, into activist communities, and among
      academic and non-academic discourse. We are looking for evolving modes of
      knowing and acting and resisting.
      Papers and presentations might focus on (but are not limited to) the following
      topics:
      Collaborations between poets and artists, poets and dancers, poetry theater,
      poets and scientists (or science), between teachers and students, between poets and
      community activists.
      Critical consideration of women writers who for whatever reason have not yet received it--
      we welcome non-traditional and cross-genre approaches.
      Race, Gender, Class: Working within and across affinities.
      AgitProp that incorporates poetic thinking and expression.

      Calls for Action. Organizing sessions.
      Send panel proposals and/or paper abstracts (350 words maximum, or send a dvd
      of performance/visual /sound work) to <belladonnaseries(at)gmail.com>0 (replace (at)
      with @
      by January 15, 2009. As we proceed a web page will become available at
      belladonnaseries.org.
      ** Founded as a reading series at a women's radical bookstore in 1999,
      Belladonna* is afeminist avant-garde event (Belladonna Series) and publication project
      (Belladonna
      Books) that promotes the work of women writers who are adventurous,
      politically involved, multi-form, multicultural, multi-gendered, unpredictable,

      dangerous with language (to the death machinery). In its nine year
      history, Belladonna* has featured over 150 experimental and hybrid writers. The

      curators promote work that is explicitly innovative, connects with
      other art forms, and is political/critical in content.
      * deadly nightshade, a cardiac and respiratory stimulant, having purplish-red
      flowers and black berries.

      Belladonna Books
      925 Bergen Street, Suite 405
      Brooklyn, NY 11238