call for submissions: Hawk & Handsaw

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hawk & Handsaw: The Journal of Creative Sustainability

      Like Shakespeare's Hamlet, the contributors to Hawk & Handsaw know which way the
      wind blows. They know that a sustainable lifestyle can be messy and
      meaningful-that it requires reflection, deep philosophical commitment and, more
      often than not, a good sense of humor. To this end, Hawk and Handsaw celebrates
      the thinking and reflection that ground sustainable practices and practitioners.
      Each issue, we offer works from established and emerging artists; this plurality
      of voices reveals a range of perspectives and practices as well as the richness
      that a sustainable life affords.

      Hawk & Handsaw is published annually. The reading period for the Spring 2009
      issue is 15 August- 15 November. The editors welcome text and images from every
      genre and are particularly interested in those works that challenge conventional
      notions both of artistic form and environmental sustainability. Please send
      submissions (Word, .jpeg, or .pdf files preferred) to <hawkandhandsaw(at)unity.edu>

      (replace (at) with @) . For more information about the journal,

      including full submission guidelines and samples of previous issues, you may
      visit our website: www.unity.edu/hawkandhandsaw

      <http://www.unity.edu/hawkandhandsaw>
      . Queries may be sent to the journal's editor, Kathryn Miles

      <kmiles(at)unity.edu> (replace (at) with @)

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2009
        Hawk & Handsaw wants to know what "creative sustainability" means to you. Send
        us your reflections and art. Tell us about your greatest triumphs and most
        frustrating failures. Challenge our definitions-and those held by our readers.
        We know that you know which way the wind blows. That a sustainable lifestyle
        can be as messy as it is meaningful-that it requires reflection, deep
        philosophical commitment and, more often than not, a good sense of humor. Hawk
        and Handsaw celebrates this kind of thinking. Each issue, we offer works from
        established and emerging artists and writers, as well as a broadly reaching
        accounts of what it means to be sustainably creative-and, of course, creatively
        sustainable.

        Hawk & Handsaw is published annually. Our reading period for the 2010 issue is
        1 August- 1 November. We welcome text and images from every genre and are

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2010
          Call for Submissions

          Hawk & Handsaw: The Journal of Creative Sustainability

          "Creative Sustainability begins like this: We begin to imagine how our emotional and physical lives might defy every law of diminishing returns. Then we yearn: We grow ravenous with the desire not to consume, but to be consumed, by the human and biotic communities that support us. And finally grace: We stand in the sweetness of self-expenditure so that every other thing bursts with ecological possibility." – Amy Irving, author of Trespass: Living at the Edge of the Promised Land.

          Hawk & Handsaw: The Journal of Creative Sustainability is now accepting submissions for its 2011 issue. We are looking for contributions that defy convention and tackle the tougher issues that stem from life in a fragile world: work that challenges us to redefine what we know about sustainability and genre; work that provokes us, riles us, makes us laugh. Most of all, we are looking for contributions that are fresh, honest, and evocative. We accept poetry, creative nonfiction, short stories, and visual art. Poets should submit between 1-5 poems for consideration. Writers of nonfiction and fiction may submit up to 30 double-spaced pages. Excerpts from longer monographs are acceptable, provided they stand alone as an independent work. If applicable, citations should appear in Chicago Manual of Style format. Hawk &Handsaw prints artwork in both color and black and white. Visual artists may submit up to 20 images of their work for consideration.

          The reading period for this issue ends on 1 October 2010.
          For more information, please visit our website: www.hawkandhandsaw.org or contact us at <hawkandhandsaw(at)unity.edu> (replace (at) with @)
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 24 7:15 AM
            Hawk & Handsaw: The Journal of Creative Sustainability is now accepting
            submissions for its 2012 issue. We are looking for contributions that defy
            convention and tackle the tougher issues that stem from life in a fragile world:
            work that challenges us to redefine what we know about sustainability and genre;
            work that provokes us, riles us, makes us laugh. Most of all, we are looking for
            contributions that are fresh, honest, and evocative. We accept poetry, creative
            nonfiction, short stories, and visual art; we also always welcome submissions
            that defy, blur, or disregard genre altogether. Poets should submit between 1-5
            poems for consideration. Writers of nonfiction and fiction may submit up to 30
            double-spaced pages. Genre deconstructors should use their best judgment but
            remember that we are a skeletal staff. Excerpts from longer monographs are
            acceptable, provided they stand alone as an independent work. If applicable,
            citations should appear in Chicago Manual of Style format. Hawk &Handsaw prints
            artwork in both color and black and white. Visual artists may submit up to 20
            images of their work for consideration.
            The reading period for this issue ends on 1 October 2012. For more information,
            please visit our website: www.hawkandhandsaw.org

            or contact us <hawkandhandsaw(at)unity.edu> (replace (at) with @ in sending e-mail)