fiction contest: American Fiction

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2008
      AMERICAN FICTION PRIZE

      Judge:  The Member-Guest and The Weatherman author and two-time American Fiction Prize winner Clint McCown

      First Prize: $1,000

      Second Prize: $500

      Third Prize: $250

      Entry fee: $12

      American Fiction will revive this year with its American Fiction Prize contest, a competition whose past judges include Joyce Carol Oates, Ann Beattie, Raymond Carver, Anne Tyler, Louise Erdrich, Tim O'Brien, and Tobias Wolff.

      This year's judge, Clint McCown, teaches in the creative writing program at Virginia Commonwealth University and is a recipient of the Associated Press Award for Documentary Excellence for his investigations of organized crime and corruption in Alabama politics, and the Society of Midland Authors Award. His novel, War Memorials, was designated for Outstanding Achievement in Literature by the Wisconsin Library Association. McCown's short stories and poems have appeared widely, and he has published two books of verse. He has worked as a screenwriter for Warner Bros. and as an actor with the National Shakespeare Company. He has edited several literary journals, including the Beloit Fiction Journal, which he founded in 1984.

      Contest winners and finalists will be published by New Rivers Press in Fall 2010 and distributed nationally by The Consortium.

      Entries must be postmarked by March 15, 2009. Winners and finalists will be announced by September 2009.

      Contest Guidelines:

      We accept all genres of unpublished literary fiction. Entries must be:20unpublished; strictly 7500 words or less; postmarked by March 15, 2009; clearly marked "American Fiction Prize" on both the story and the outside of the envelope; accompanied by a $12 entry fee per story (make checks payable to American Fiction). Please include a cover page with your name, story title, mailing address, and email address. Do not include your name on the pages of the story. Please ensure all stories are typed, double-spaced, and that the title and page number appear on each page. In lieu of an email address, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

      We welcome multiple entries ($12/story). For entries outside the U.S.: please send entry fee in U.S. currency or money order. While we cannot return manuscripts, we will forward a list of the winning stories to any entrant who includes an SASE; as well, we will e-mail contest updates to anyone who provides an active e-mail address. Entrants retain all rights to their stories.

      Mail entries to:

      American Fiction Prize / 5712 Briarwick Court / Hermitage, TN 37076

      Please e-mail any questions to <americanfictionprize(at)yahoo.com> (replace (at) with @). Thank you for your interest, and good luck!

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2009
        AMERICAN FICTION PRIZE - DEADLINE EXTENDED

[...]

        Entries must be postmarked by May 1, 2009. Winners and finalists will be announced by September 2009.

        Contest Guidelines:

        We accept all genres of unpublished literary fiction. Entries must be: unpublished; strictly 7500 words or l

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2011
          American Fiction: The Best Unpublished Short Stories by Emerging Writers, twice chosen by Writers' Digest as one of the best places in the United States to publish fiction, will be open to submissions from Feb. 1, 2011, to May 1, 2011, (postmark date).

          First Prize: $1,000
          Second Prize: $500
          Third Prize: $250

          Entry Fee: $12/story

          Contest winners and finalists will be published by New Rivers Press in fall 2012 and distributed nationally by The Consortium.

          Winners and finalists will be announced by September 2011.

          Finalist Judge: Josip Novakovich
          This year's judge, Josip Novakovich, moved from Croatia to the U.S. at the age of twenty. He has published a novel, April Fool's Day (published in ten languages), three story collections (Infidelities: Stories of War and Lust, Yolk, and Salvation and Other Disasters) and three collections of narrative essays. His work was anthologized in Best American Poetry, the Pushcart Prize collection, and O. Henry Prize Stories. He has received the Whiting Writer's Award, a Guggenheim fellowship, two National Endowment for the Arts fellowships, the Ingram Merrill Award, and an American Book Award, and he has been a writing fellow of the New York Public Library. He teaches creative writing at Concordia University in Montreal.

          Contest Guidelines:
          Submit electronically:
          http://newriverspress.submishmash.com/Submit
          -or-
          Mail entries:
          American Fiction Prize
          151 Glenwood Street
          Manchester, CT 06040

          We accept all genres of unpublished literary fiction. Entries must be: unpublished; strictly 7,500 words or less; postmarked or received electronically between Feb. 1, 2011, and May 1, 2011; clearly marked "American Fiction Prize" on both the story and the outside of the envelope if the submission is sent through the mail; accompanied by a $12 entry fee per story (make checks payable to American Fiction). Please include a cover page with your name, story title, mailing address, and email address. Do not include your name on the pages of the story. Please ensure all stories are typed, double-spaced, and that the title and page number appear on each page. In lieu of an email address, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2011
            American Fiction: The Best Unpublished Short Stories by Emerging
            Writers has extended its May 1 deadline to June 1, 2011 (postmark
[...]

            electronically between Feb. 1, 2011, and June 1, 2011; clearly marked