CRWROPPS FAQ: Please don't hit reply in response to postings

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi Subscribers:
      I'm reposting the FAQ because I'm receiving quite a few personal messages again. Please remember not to hit reply when sending postings to friends--I'll receive the personal messages you intended for other eyes.
      Thanks, Allison J, CRWROPPS-B Moderator

      Creative Writers Opportunities List-Serve (CRWROPPS-B):
      Frequently Asked Questions (Please save for future reference)

      1) How do I post a message on the list?

      Only the list-serve moderator may post a message to the list. This is not a list for conversations among writers.

      If you are an editor or contest organizer who would like to post an announcement on the list, send it to the list moderator at
      <crwropps(at)aol.com> (Replace (at) with@).

      Please send the announcement in the body of an e-mail message; do not send attachments. No live links in the announcements, please.

      Do not use fancy fonts or color in the body of the announcement.Do not send me anything other than calls for submissions or literary contest announcements--anything other than calls for submissions/literary contest announcements will not be posted. Notices about literary events, readings, workshops and writers conference announcements will not be posted unless there is a competition, contest, or publication opportunity connected to the event.

      The moderator reserves the right not to post announcements that exploit writers.

      2) How do I enter contests posted on the list?

      Please DON'T send me any entries/submissions for or queries about any of the contests/publication
      opportunities posted on CRWROPPS-B. Remember, I'm the person posting the information, not the judge of all these contests.
      Please DO NOT hit the reply button and send me your entries/submissions. Instead, read each posting carefully to see how entries are accepted (whether entries are accepted via e-mail or postal mail). Please read each posting carefully to determine who should receive your creative submissions or questions about the posted opportunities, and send those submissions and/or
      queries on to the appropriate editors or contest coordinators. Please don't send your work to me.

      3) How do you join this list?

      Instructions for joining the list:

      Go to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crwropps-b
      and click on "Join This Group." Follow the on-screen prompts to join.

      or
      Send a blank e-mail to
      crwropps-b-subscribe(at)yahoogroups.com
      (replace (at) with @)

      You will be sent an e-mail message with further instructions on how to join the list.

      The Topica.com version of this list as moderated by me no longer exists. Beware of imitators at Topica.com--those have no connection to the list in its present form on Yahoogroups.

      4) Where can I go to read previous postings?

      List Archives:
      CRWROPPS- B:
      Scroll down the page to area marked <Message History>
      (accessible to everyone)

      5) How can I send CRWROPPS-B messages to friends?

      Please don't hit the reply button if you wish to forward a message to a friend who is off-list. If you hit the reply button instead of the20forward button,
      I'll receive the personal correspondence that you intended for someone else.

      You can always point a friend who is off-list to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crwropps-b

      to see messages without joining the list.

      Please do not tell friends to send their work to the crwropps-b e-mail address if they are interested in an opportunity posted on the list.

      6) Can I receive only the postings in the genre I'm interested in?

      It is not possible for the moderator to send individual subscribers selected messages for just one of the genres covered by CRWROPPS-B--it is not possible, for example, to send one subscriber only the poetry messages, or another only the fiction messages. Furthermore, quite a few contests listed on CRWROPPS-B are multigenre contests, with categories in fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. The list is all-or-nothing list, and the moderator is committed to sending messages of interest in fiction, nonfiction and poetry.

      CRWROPPS-B is also available in "daily digest" format--meaning you can receive one long posting of all of a single day's messages. Contact the moderator at<crwropps(at)aol.com> and she will switch your subscription to digest format
      if you prefer to receive only one long message per day.

      7) Can you recommend which contests are best to enter?

      It is not possible for the mode
      rator to supply advice on which contests would be suitable for any individual writer's publication needs. For recommendations on the merits of individual contests, please consult Winningwriters.com (a paid service).

      8) What does (replace (at) with @) mean?

      Yahoogroups doesn't list complete e-mail addresses in postings to prevent spam attacks on those addresses. Thus, when an e-mail address is listed ina posting, the designation (replace (at) with @) is used. Simply replace (at) in the address with @ and send the e-mail message. Do not send the
      submission to the list moderator.

      9) What does "List on Hiatus" mean?
      If the CRWROPPS-B list is on hiatus, no messages will be posted to the list 0forthe duration of the hiatus, nor can subscription issues be resolved . The list moderator requests that no messages for subscription changes or for posting be sent to<crwropps(at)aol.com>during hiatus periods. During hiatus periods, the moderator has no or limited access to e-mail, and thus cannot
      solve subscription problems until the hiatus is over.

      10) Can I stay on the list-serve while on vacation?

      Sure. If you e-mail the list moderator before your vacation begins, she can set your subscription to <OFF>while you are away so that the e-mail messages do not accumulate and crowd your in-box. When you return, simply e-mail the  moderator at <crwropps(at)aol.com> with a message that you would like your subscription restarted.

      11) What is the difference between a call for submissions and a contest?0A
      If an opportunity listed on CRWROPPS-B is labeled "Call for Submissions,"submissions are being solicited without an entry fee. If an opportunity listed on CRWROPPS-B is labeled "Contest" or "Competition," an entry fee is required along with the submission. Please read the posting carefully to determing how entry fees are being collected for each particular contest. If a contest does not have an entry fee (rare, but possible), it will have the designation "no fee" in its subject line.

      12) Who is behind this list?

      The CRWROPPS-B list is a one-woman, non-profit, volunteer operation--one writer's way of helping other writers. In corresponding with the list moderator regarding any aspect of this service, your patience and courtesy is appreciated.
      To learn more about this list's owner and her writing,
      visit
      www.siu.edu/~perspect/03_sp/joseph.html

      Thanks,
      Allison Joseph