poetry chapbook contest: CAKETRAIN

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2007
      2007 Caketrain Chapbook Competition
      www.caketrain.org/competition07.html

      Caketrain Journal and Press is proud to announce our 2007 Caketrain Chapbook
      Competition, the third in our now-annual series of chapbook competitons.
      We're
      very excited for this year's competition and the impressive manuscripts that
      are sure to emerge.

      Each year, we bring a special guest into the selection process, a writer
      whose work we hold in very high regard, and this year is no exception: for
      2007,
      we are honored and humbled to announce that Claudia Rankine will serve as our
      final judge. Claudia is the author of four collections of poetry: Don't Let
      Me
      Be Lonely (Graywolf Press, 2004), Plot (Grove Press, 2001), The End of the
      Alphabet (Grove Press, 1998), and Nothing in Nature Is Private (Cleveland
      State
      University Press, 1994). She is coeditor, with Juliana Spahr, of American
      Women
      Poets in the 21st Century: Where Lyric Meets Language. She has taught at
      Barnard College, University of Georgia, and in the writing program at the
      University of Houston. Her accolades include an Academy of American Poets
      fellowship
      and the praises of Robert Creeley, Barbara Guest, Charles Bernstein, Lyn
      Hejinian, David Lehman, and many, many others.

      The winner of the competition receives a $250 cash prize and 25 copies of
      their chapbook. The chapbook will be published in a 200-copy run on
      sixty-pound,
      acid-free text stock bound with a full-color cover. We hear we've put
      together
      some gorgeous books so far; to see how they've turned out, please check out
      our previous winners, Elizabeth Skurnick's Check-In (2005) and Tom Whalen's
      Dolls (2007).

      Our guidelines have been slightly revised and updated this year. For the
      entrants' convenience, we are now accepting competition entries in both print
      and
      electronic formats. Please follow the guidelines for your chosen format, as
      detailed below.

      Eligibility (Print and Electronic):
      This competition is open to poetry* manuscripts written in the English
      language. While previously-published poems may be included in the manuscript,
      the
      manuscript as a whole must be an unpublished work. Translations and
      previously
      self-published works are ineligible. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable;
      please note, however, that reading fees are non-refundable, and notify
      Caketrain as soon as possible if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
      Manuscript
      revisions will not be considered during reading period. Please do not include
      cover artwork or photographs with your submission. Author must not have a
      close
      personal or professional relationship with Claudia Rankine or any Caketrain
      Journal and Press staff member; if an author is unsure whether this policy
      applies to him or her, Caketrain will gladly address inquiries.
      Print Format:
      Print entries must be postmarked no later than October 1, 2007. Please submit
      20 to 35 pages of typed poetry. Include page numbers, table of contents, and,
      if necessary, an acknowledgments page. Submissions should include two cover
      pages: one with the manuscript's title, the other with the title, author's
      name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address. The author's name should
      not
      appear anywhere else in the manuscript. Please do not send original
      manuscripts; print manuscripts will be recycled at competition conclusion.
      Please submit
      manuscripts through the United States Postal Service. A reading fee of $20
      must accompany each submission, made payable to Caketrain Journal and Press.
      Submissions may include an SASE for notification of competition results. If
      an
      SASE is not included, notification will be sent via e-mail. A list of winner
      and
      finalists will also be announced at www.caketrain.org. Submit print entries
      to Caketrain Journal and Press, Box 82588, Pittsburgh, PA 15218.
      Electronic Format:
      Electronic entries must be received no later than October 1, 2007. Please
      submit 20 to 35 pages of poetry as an e-mail attachment in either DOC, PDF,
      or
      RTF format. Include page numbers, table of contents, and, if necessary, an
      acknowledgments page. Submissions should include two cover pages as the first
      two
      pages of the attached document: one with the manuscript's title, the other
      with
      the title, author's name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address. The
      author's name should not appear anywhere else in the manuscript. Once the
      manuscript has been received, downloaded and verified as readable and
      functioning,
      a reply e-mail will be sent with a link enclosed to make payment of the $20
      reading fee via Paypal. Notification of contest results will sent via e-mail,
      and a list of winner and finalists will be announced at www.caketrain.org.
      Submit electronic entries to caketrainjournal(at)hotmail.comĀ  (replace (at)
      with
      @).

      *A Quick Note on "Poetry": As you probably know, we're quite comfortable with
      pp/ff and other hybrid-genre/form-mutants, so imagine this word as a large
      and welcoming umbrella with a gathering of people and animals and things
      underneath, milling about, mixing drinks, etc.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2011
        2011 Caketrain Chapbook Competition: submit 40 to 80 pages of typed poetry. Awards: publication, $250 cash prize, and 25 contributor copies to winner. publication and 25 contributor copies to runner-up. Entry fee: $15. Deadline: October 1, 2011. for entry info:

        www.caketrain.org/competitions