fiction book contests: U of Iowa Press

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2008
      The Iowa Short Fiction Award & the
      John Simmons Short Fiction Award

      http://www.uipress.uiowa.edu/authors/iowa-short-fiction.htm
      Eligibility

      Any writer who has not previously published a volume of prose fiction is eligible to enter the competition. Previously entered manuscripts that have been revised may be resubmitted. Writers are still eligible if they have published a volume of poetry or any work in a language other than English or if they have self-published a work in a small print run. Writers are still eligible if they are living abroad or are non-US citizens writing in English. Current University of Iowa students are not eligible.

      Manuscript

      The manuscript must be a collection of short stories in English of at least 150 word-processed, double-spaced pages. We do not accept e-mail submissions. The manuscript may include a cover page, contents page, etc., but these are not required. The author’s name can be on every page but this is not required. Stories previously published in periodicals are eligible for inclusion. There is no reading fee; please do not send cash, checks, or money orders. Reasonable care is taken, but we are not responsible for manuscripts lost in the mail or for the return of those not accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope. We assume the author retains a copy of the manuscript.

      Publication

      Award-winning manuscripts will be published by the University of Iowa Press under the Press’s standard contract.

      Submission

      Manuscripts should be mailed to:

      Iowa Sh
      ort Fiction Award
      Iowa Writers’ Workshop
      507 North Clinton Street
      102 Dey House
      Iowa City IA 52242-1000

      No application forms are necessary. Entries for the competition should be postmarked between August 1 and September 30; packages must be postmarked by September 30. Announcement of the winners will be made early in the following year.