poetry book contest: U of Arkansas Poetry Series
- The University of Arkansas Press Poetry Series
Enid Shomer, Series Editor
The University of Arkansas Press’s Inaugural
$5000 Miller Williams Poetry Prize
For submissions in September and October of 2008
One finalist and three semi-finalists will be awarded in 2010
In addition to the Prize the finalist will give a featured reading at the Arkansas Festival of Writers sponsored by the University’s Programs in Creative Writing and Translation.
The poetry prize is named in honor of Miller Williams, one of America’s finest poets and cofounder and first director of the University of Arkansas Press. Williams was also a codirector of the University of Arkansas’s nationally recognized creative writing program. As the director of the UA Press, Williams published the work of many outstanding poets and writers, including that of Billy Collins, Ellen Gilchrist, Robert Mezey, R. S. Thomas, Frank Stanford, and John Ciardi. He is known to many as the poet who read a poem at Bill Clinton’s 1997 presidential inauguration.
Submission Requirements (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY):
The University of Arkansas Press invites submissions of manuscripts each fall for its poetry series. We are committed to publishing diverse kinds of poetry by a diversity of poets. The only criterion is excellence.
1. The series is open to all book-length manuscripts of 60 to 90 pages, except translations. Individual poems may have been published in journals and anthologies.
. The series editor requests that no former or present students, friends, or family members submit manuscripts for consideration.
3. We request that anyone whose manuscript has been selected for publication in our poetry series wait three years before submitting another poetry manuscript for consideration.
4. No more than one manuscript per author, please.
5. Submissions will be accepted annually during the months of September and October. The postmark deadline for entries is October 31. (Please do not send revisions once you have sent a manuscript.) Four manuscripts will be chosen by the following July 1.
6. Manuscripts should be typed or machine-printed, single-spaced, with no more than one poem per page. Please include an acknowledgments page detailing the publication history of individual poems in the manuscript. No electronic submissions.
7. There is a reading fee of $25 payable by check or money order to the University of Arkansas Press. (Please do not send cash.)
8. We accept simultaneously submitted manuscripts provided we are notified immediately of acceptance elsewhere.
9. All entries will be judged anonymously. Please enclose two title pages with your submission: one page should include only the title of the manuscript and the other should list the title of the manuscript and the poet’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and a brief, biographical statement. The poet’s name must not appear anywhere else in the manuscript.
10. If you wish to be notified that your ma
nuscript was received, please include an SAS postcard.
11. If you submit a #10 SASE along with your manuscript, you will be notified of our decisions by July 1. The four selections will be announced on our Web site (www.uapress.com) by mid-July.
12. Manuscripts will be recycled rather than returned.
13. Send your manuscript, reading fee, and other information to:
University of Arkansas Press
105 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville, AR 72701
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]