online journal seeks submissions: Houston Literary Review

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2008
      Call for Submissions: Houston Literary Review

      http://thehoustonliteraryreview.com/default.aspx

      Submissions go to poetry.editor(at)thehoustonliteraryreview.com

      (replace (at) with @)

      The Houston Literary Review, an online literary journal, is seeking submissions of poetry from established and emerging writers. THLR combines local flavor with a global perspective in order to engage the artistic community. The review encourages writers by publishing widely and openly. We believe in giving nearly every artist a chance to share his or her work.

      In addition to our regular poetry pages, I will soon start a quarterly poetry page that will feature those writing strictly at a professional level (which doesnʼt mean you need a higher degree or prior publications, it just means you need to write REALLY well). I want to encourage new writers, sure, but I also want our journal to play in the big leagues. THLR will also begin nominating poems for the prestigious Pushcart Prize.

      Everyone will be considered for the quarterly page, but only a very small percentage will make the cut. The remaining submissions will be considered for the more open and frequently published poetry pages.

      Interested in submitting? Email me (poetry.editor(at)thehoustonliteraryreview.com) your three best poems attached as one Word doc or pasted in the text of your email. Use a standard and readable font (such as Times New Roman, 12pt). We read year round, we read sim-subs (if noted), and we read carefully.

      Iʼm interes
      ted in building a community so Iʼd appreciate a cover letter. Tell me about yourself (prior publications if any, why you started writing, whatever you want). Include relevant contact information and if youʼre open to edits/revisions or want your work to be considered strictly as is. Keep in mind if your work is polished enough for the quarterly page, no edits will be needed.

      Thank you very much for your interest and your support! I look forward to reading your work.

      Poetry Editor

      The Houston Literary Review Staff

      PS: We also take fiction, visual art, and other things! Check out www.thehoustonliteraryreview(dot)com for submission details.