poetry chapbook contest: Camber Press

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2007
      1160  Mi dl a nd Av e nue
      S ui t e  1 M
      Br onx v i l l e, Ne w Yor k 1 0 7 0 8
      http://www.camberpress.com/

      The Third Annual Camber Press Poetry Chapbook Award
      Camber Press is pleased to announce the return of our poetry chapbook award.
      Our ethos is to publish
      contemporary poetry exhibiting lucid delivery while not sacrificing emotional
      depth, mastery of craft,
      or originality.
      First Prize:
      $1,000 and publication of chapbook
      Submission guidelines:
      The winning poet will receive $1,000 and have his or her manuscript published
      by Camber Press,
      Inc. Only typed manuscripts no greater than 24 pages of original
      English-language poems will be
      considered. Manuscripts must include a cover page listing the author’s name,
      address, phone number,
      e-mail address, and manuscript title. Names should not appear anywhere else.
      A title page with no
      biographical information and a table of contents should follow. Simultaneous
      submissions are allowed
      if Camber Press is immediately notified of acceptance elsewhere. Submissions
      will be recycled, not
      returned. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard if you wish
      acknowledgment of receipt. A $15
      entry fee payable to Camber Press must accompany all submissions.
      International submissions are $15
      provided they are in US funds on a US bank. Submissions must be postmarked no
      later than July
      15, 2007. The winner will be announced no later than October 1, 2007, on the
      Camber Press Web site.
      Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you wish to receive a print
      announcement of the winner.
      E-mail us at info(at)camberpress.com for more information
      (replace (at) with @)
      Send entries to:
      Poetry Competition
      Camber Press
      1160 Midland Avenue
      Suite 1M
      Bronxville, NY 10708
      Other details:
      If some poems in your manuscript have been previously published in literary
      journals or reviews,
      please include this information in an acknowledgments page. Any manuscript
      previously published
      as a whole in book form is not eligible.
      Multiple manuscripts by the same writer will be accepted if submitted with a
      corresponding entry
      fee for each work.
      If the poet’s name is present anywhere on the manuscript aside from the cover
      page, the entry will
      be disqualified.
      If the poet needs to refer to his/herself during a poem, a pseudonym must be
      used.
      Please do not send corrections or additions. The winner will be allowed to
      make revisions before
      publication.
      Judge:
      Stephen Dobyns
      Deadline:July 15, 2007

      Submissions postmarked after July 15, 2007, will not be considered for the
      competition.
      Total manuscript pages do not translate to an equal number of book pages.
      Line length, stanza
      breaks, book sections, type size, margins, and other factors affect the
      number of pages a finished
      book will be. If unsure how many pages your book will be or if your
      manuscript is too long, visit
      your local library. Look at Camber Press titles and poetry chapbooks from
      other publishers. By
      comparing these with your own poems, you can estimate the approximate book
      length of your
      manuscript.
      Covers, tables of contents, dedication pages, acknowledgements pages, etc.,
      do not count toward
      the total of 24 pages.
      “No greater than 24 pages” does not mean your manuscript need be 24 pages.
      To date, no poet
      submitting 24 pages has won the Camber Press Poetry Chapbook Award. Please
      think of your best
      poems first, manuscript flow second, and “24 pages,” if ever, last.
      If you wish to bind your manuscript(s), please use a paperclip. Folders,
      binders, “bullnose” clips, and
      staples are not encouraged.
      Submissions will be recycled, not returned. Do not send a return envelope or
      return postage. Do not
      send your only copy of your manuscript.
      To be advised of future Camber Press news, please join our e-mail newsletter
      list at info(at)camberpress.com. Camber Press will not sell, trade, or
      distribute your e-mail address to any other company,
      organization, or individual. We don’t like spam, either. An e-mail to the
      same address will remove
      you from our future mailings.
      Stephen Dobyns, final judge
      Stephen Dobyns has published twelve poetry collections (including Velocities:
      New and Selected Poems,
      1966-1992 and Mystery, So Long), ten novels (including The Church of Dead
      Girls and Boy in the Water),
      one collection of short stories (Eating Naked), ten mysteries in his Charlie
      Bradshaw detective series,
      and the highly recommended nonfiction book Best Words, Best Order: Essays on
      Poetry. His poetic
      works count among them a Lamont Poetry Selection (Concurring Beasts), a
      National Poetry Series
      award winner (Black Dog, Red Dog,) and a Melville Cane Award winner (Cemetery
      Nights). He has
      received fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and the
      Guggenheim Foundation.
      Camber Press is thoroughly devoted to maintaining the integrity of our
      competitions. Judges are
      directed to discard any manuscript where the writer of the work can be
      identified, where they have had
      a personal relationship with the poet, or if they have contributed in the
      making of the manuscript.
      Camber Press does not choose writers or judges based on race, sex, color,
      religion, age, national origin,
      physical ability/handicap, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender
      identity or geographic location.
      Manuscripts are chosen for publication based solely upon quality of work.
      Judges are chosen because we
      like their writings and because they are willing to support small presses and
      independent bookstores.
      We thank you for your interest in submitting your work. Camber Press looks
      forward to publishing new,
      talented writers for the rest of the world to discover along with us. At this
      time we have several other
      manuscripts in production for publication, and we are not accepting
      unsolicited manuscripts outside
      this competition. Watch our Web site for announcements on the winning
      manuscript and forthcoming
      awards in both poetry and fiction.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2008
        1 1 6 0  Mi dl a nd Av e nue  •  S ui t e  3 F •  Br onx v i l l e  •  Ne w Yor k  •  1 0 7 0 8

        The Fourth Annual Camber Press Poetry Chapbook Award

        http://www.camberpress.com/

[...]

        in US funds on a US bank. Submissions must be postmarked no later than August 15, 2008. The

        winner will be announced no later than November 1, 2008. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope

        if you wish to receive a print announcement of the winner. E-mail us at info(at)camberpress.com (replace (at) with @) for more

        information. Send entries to:

        Poetry Award

        Camber Press

        1160 Midland Avenue

        Suite 3F

        Bronxville, NY 10708

        Other details:

        • If poems in your manuscript have been previously published in literary journals or reviews, please

        include this information in an acknowledgments page. Any manuscript previously published as a

        whole in book form is not eligible.

        • Multiple manuscripts by the same writer will be accepted if submitted with a corresponding entry

        fee for each work.

        • If the poet’s name is present anywhere on the manuscript aside from the cover page, the entry will

        be disqualified.

        • If the poet needs to refer to his/herself during a poem, a pseudonym must be used.

        • Please do not send corrections or additions. The winner will be allowed to make revisions before

        publication.

        Judge:

        Steve Orlen

        Deadline:August 15, 2008

        Submissions postmarked after August 15, 2008, will not be considered for the competition.

[...]

        staples are strongly discouraged.

        To be advised of future Camber Press news, please join our e-mail newsletter list at info(at)camberpress (replace (at) with @).

        com. Camber Press will not sell, trade, or distribute your e-mail address to any other company,

        organization, or individual. We don’t like spam, either. An e-mail to the same address will remove

        you from our future mailings.

        About Steve Orlen, final judge

        Steve Orlen teaches in the MFA Program at the University of Arizona in Tucson, and in the low-

        residency MFA Program at Warren Wilson College. He’s published six books of poetry. The most recent

        is The Elephant’s Child: New & Selected Poems 1978-2005, published by Ausable Press. He’s received

        three NEA Grants, a fellowship from the Solomon Guggenheim Foundation, as well as the George

        Dillon Memorial Award from Poetry Magazine.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
          http://www.camberpress.com/submissions.html

          Camber Press is pleased to announce the return of our poetry chapbook award.
          Our ethos is to publish contemporary poetry exhibiting lucid delivery while
          not sacrificing emotional depth, mastery of craft, or originality.

          The Fourth Annual Camber Press
          Poetry Chapbook Award
          Deadline:
          August 15, 2008
[...]

          November 1, 2008, on the Camber Press Web site. Include a self-addressed,
          stamped envelope if you wish to receive a print announcement of the winner.
          E-mail us for more information. Send entries to:
          Poetry Contest
          Camber Press
          1160 Midland Avenue
          Suite 3F
          Bronxville, NY 10708

          Other details:
          If some or all poems in your manuscript have been previously
          published in literary journals or reviews, please include this information in an
          acknowledgments page. Any manuscript previously published as a whole in book
          form is not eligible.
          Multiple manuscripts by the same writer will be accepted if
          submitted with a corresponding entry fee for each work.
          If the poet's name is present anywhere on the manuscript aside
          from the cover page, the entry will be disqualified.
          If the poet needs to refer to his/herself during the poem, a
          pseudonym must be used.
          Please do not send corrections or additions. The winner will be
          allowed to make revisions before publication.
          Submissions postmarked after August 15, 2008 will not be
          considered for the contest.
[...]
          Folders, binders, "bullnose" clips, and staples are strongly discouraged.
          Please do not send your manuscript via a carrier requiring a
          signature for delivery. Not only is this is an unnecessary expense for writers,
          we
          find the USPS does a more than adequate job of delivering to our location.
          Submissions will be recycled, not returned. Do not send a return
          envelope or return postage. Never send your only copy of your manuscript
          anywhere.
          To be advised of future Camber Press news, please join our e-mail
          newsletter list. Camber Press will not sell, trade, or distribute your e-mail
          address to any other company, organization, or individual. We don't like spam,
          either. An e-mail to the same address will remove you from our future
          mailings.

          About our judge, Steve Orlen
          Steve Orlen teaches in the MFA Program at the University of Arizona in
          Tucson, and in the low-residency MFA Program at Warren Wilson College. He's
          published six books of poetry. The most recent is The Elephant's Child: New &
          Selected
          Poems 1978-2005, published by Ausable Press. He's received three NEA Grants,
          a fellowship from the Solomon Guggenheim Foundation, as well as the George
          Dillon Memorial Award from Poetry Magazine. His other titles include Kisses,
          This
          Particular Eternity, Bridge of Sighs, A Place at the Table, and Separate
          Creatures.

          Last year, Stephen Dobyns chose Karen Zealand's The Sniper and the Spotter in
          a blind submission similar to the above guidelines. It will be available
          shortly.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
            http://www.camberpress.com/pressreleases/CPPoetryAward.pdf

            The Fifth Annual Camber Press Poetry Chapbook Award

[...]

            in US funds on a US bank. Submissions must be postmarked no later than August 15, 2009. The

            winner will be announced no later than November 1, 2009. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope

            if you wish to receive a print announcement of the winn
            er. E-mail us at info@... for more

            information. Send entries to:

            Camber Press Poetry Award, Suite 3F, 1160 Midland Avenue, Bronxville, NY 10708

            Other details:

            • If poems in your manuscript have been previously published in literary journals or reviews, please

            include this information in an acknowledgments page. Any manuscript previously published as a

            whole in book form is not eligible.

            • Multiple manuscripts by the same writer will be accepted if submitted with a corresponding entry

            fee for each work.

            • If the poet’s name is present anywhere on the manuscript aside from the cover page, the entry will

            be disqualified.

            • If the poet needs to refer to his/herself during a poem, a pseudonym must be used.

            • Please do not send corrections or additions. The winner will be allowed to make revisions before

            publication.

            • Submissions postmarked after August 15, 2009, will not be considered for the competition.

            • Total manuscript pages do not translate to an equal number of book pages. Line length, stanza

            breaks, book sections, type size, margins, and other factors affect the number of pages a finished

            book will be. If unsure how many pages your book will be or if your manuscript is too long, visit

            Judge:

            Mark Doty Deadline:

            August 15, 2009

            (continued)

            1 1 6 0  Mi dl a nd Av e nue  •  S=2
            0ui t e  3 F •  Br onx v i l l e  •  Ne w Yo r k  •  1 0 7 0 8

            • To be advised of future Camber Press news, please join our e-mail newsletter list at info@camberpress.

            com. Camber Press will not sell, trade, or distribute your e-mail address to any other company,

            organization, or individual. We don’t like spam, either. An e-mail to the same address will remove

            you from our future mailings.

            About Mark Doty, final judge

            Mark Doty
            ’s Fire to Fire: New and Selected Poems, won the National Book Award for Poetry in 2008.

            His eight books of poems include School of the Arts, Source, and My Alexandria. He has also published

            four volumes of nonfiction prose: Still Life with Oysters and Lemon, Heaven’s Coast, Firebird and Dog

            Years, which was a New York Times bestseller in 2007. Doty’s work has been honored by the National

            Book Critics Circle Award, the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, a Whiting Writers Award, two Lambda

            Literary Awards  and the PEN/Martha Albrand Award for First Nonfiction. He is the only American

            poet to have received the T.S. Eliot Prize in the U.K., and has received fellowships from the Guggenheim,

            Ingram Merrill and Lila Wallace/Readers Digest Foundations, and from the National Endowment for

            the Arts. Doty lives in New York City and in Houston, Texas, where he is John and Rebecca Moores

            Professor in the graduate program at the University of Houston. In the fall of 2009, he will join the

            faculty at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2009
              Camber Press is pleased to announce the return of our annual poetry chapbook
              award. Our ethos is to publish contemporary poetry exhibiting lucid delivery
              while not sacrificing emotional depth, mastery of craft, or originality.

              The Fifth Annual Camber PressPoetry Chapbook Award
              http://www.camberpress.com/poetrychapbookaward.html

              Deadline:
              August 15, 2009
[...]

              1, 2009, on the Camber
              Press Web site. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope if you wish to
              receive a print announcement of the winner. E-mail us for more information. Send
              entries to:
              Camber Press Poetry Award
              1160 Midland Avenue
              Suite 3F
              Bronxville, NY 10708

              Other details:
              * If some or all poems in your manuscript have been previously published in
              literary journals or reviews, please include this information in an
              acknowledgments page. Any manuscript previously published as a whole in book
              form is not eligible.
              * Multiple manuscripts by the same writer will be accepted if submitted with
              a corresponding entry fee for each work.
              * If the poet's name is present anywhere on the manuscript aside from the
              cover page, the entry will be disqualified.
              * If the poet needs to refer to his/herself during the poem, a pseudonym
              must be used.
              * Please do not send corrections or additions. The winner will be allowed to
              make revisions before publication.
              * Submissions postmarked after August 15, 2009 will not be considered for
              the contest.
[...]

              About our judge, Mark Doty