The Gabehart Prize is our way of honoring our good friend, patron, and long-time director who took the decade of the 1980s to show us all how it's done. Three prizes are awarded, in poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction. Each winner receives $100, two 2-day passes, and the opportunity to read her winning manuscript at the conference.
Gabehart Prize Guidelines
Required Entry Form:
• Please submit two blind copies of the manuscript, and our required entry form
• The author’s name or address must not appear anywhere on the manuscript
• Type on standard white paper, one side of the page only
• Paginate correctly
• Each piece submitted should be accompanied by a separate entry form.
• There is a handling fee for each submission. Each poem is $5. Each fiction or creative nonfiction piece is $10.
• Checks should be made payable to Women Writers of Kentucky.
• Fiction and creative nonfiction pieces have a maximum 2,500 word count. Each title is considered a separate
submission. If multiple pieces are entered with only one entry fee, only the first submission will be accepted.
• Manuscripts must be postmarked by July 31, 2008.
• Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard if you would like notification that the manuscript has been received.
• We strongly advise that you send your manuscript first class.
Also, keep the following in mind:
• Submission of more than one piece is permissible if each manuscript is accompanied by a handling fee.
• Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered.
• Previously published works are permissible.
• The contest is open to any writer of English. Employees of Women Writers of Kentucky or board members of the
Friends of the Kentucky Women Writers Conference are not eligible to submit.
• We cannot return manuscripts.
• Contest results will be posted on our website by August 21. Winners will be notified immediately.
Please send entries to:
Betty Gabehart Prize for Imaginative Writing
Women Writers of Kentucky
232 East Maxwell Street
Lexington, KY 40506-0344
Direct inquiries to: wwk.hadfield@...
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]