contest for women writers: Gabehart Prize

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2008
      The Gabehart Prize is our way of honoring our good friend, patron, and long-time director who took the decade of the 1980s to show us all how it's done. Three prizes are awarded, in poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction. Each winner receives $100, two 2-day passes, and the opportunity to read her winning manuscript at the conference.

      Gabehart Prize Guidelines

      http://www.uky.edu/WWK/Gabehart%20Guidelines.pdf

      Required Entry Form:

      http://www.uky.edu/WWK/Gabehart%20Entry%20Form.pdf

      Manuscript Format

      • Please submit two blind copies of the manuscript, and our required entry form

      • The author’s name or address must not appear anywhere on the manuscript

      • Type on standard white paper, one side of the page only

      • Paginate  correctly

      Submission Information

      • Each piece submitted should be accompanied by a separate entry form.

      • There is a handling fee for each submission.  Each poem is $5.  Each fiction or creative nonfiction piece is $10.

      • Checks should be made payable to Women Writers of Kentucky.

      • Fiction and creative nonfiction pieces have a maximum 2,500 word count.  Each title is considered a separate

      submission.  If multiple pieces are entered with only one entry fee, only the first submission will be accepted.

      • Manuscripts must be postmarked by July 31, 2008.

      • Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard if you would like notification that the manuscript has been received.

      • We strongly advise that you send your manuscript first class.

      Also, keep the following in mind:

      • Submission of more than one piece is permissible if each manuscript is accompanied by a handling fee.

      • Once submitted, manuscripts cannot be altered.

      • Previously published works are permissible.

      • The contest is open to any writer of English.  Employees of Women Writers of Kentucky or board members of the

      Friends of the Kentucky Women Writers Conference are not eligible to submit.

      • We cannot return manuscripts.

      • Contest results will be posted on our website by August 21.  Winners will be notified immediately.

      Please send entries to:

       Betty Gabehart Prize for Imaginative Writing

       Women Writers of Kentucky

       232 East Maxwell Street

       Lexington, KY 40506-0344

      Direct inquiries to: wwk.hadfield@...